Phyfe-Duncan Drop leaf Table-Authentic?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Alesia42, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....This is a Thrift store purchase.....what I think is a nice find for $17 and some change.....I was so excited!....I haven't decided whether I will try to slowly restore it...or find a professional restorer....in any event....I had to have it....at the time I was thinking when am I going to ever find a table like this for this price?....when in good condition , these tables sell for a good penny.....so it's a keeper!.....PS.....it looks authentic....but is it?? rsz_black_dragon_iris_and_antique_table_012.jpg rsz_black_dragon_iris_and_antique_table_011.jpg rsz_black_dragon_iris_and_antique_table_013.jpg rsz_17_duncan_phyfe_-3yrs_stalking_beautiful_irises_002.jpg rsz_17_duncan_phyfe_-3yrs_stalking_beautiful_irises_001.jpg

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    ulilwitch likes this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No, it isn't if you mean was it built in Phyfe's shop in NYC in the 1st quarter 19th century.
    Your drop leaf is a 20th-century DP revival piece

4. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

I kind of knew the table is from the 1930's or so.....but I had no idea that there was a revival period of furniture made of the 1700/1800's......

ulilwitch, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

...but if it's true to the 1930's period....that's good enough for me....for $17....once restored it will be a beautiful piece!

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well yeah, for $17 you did well I'd say.
    "Period" in antique furniture means built during a particular period of time, in Phyfe's case, late 18th - first quarter 19th century.
    Yes, a new finish wouldn't hurt at all, GOOD LUCK! on your restoration.:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted