Pewter piece

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Percy French, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Percy French

Percy French Member

Hello everyone, I am trying to find out exactly what this item is for. It is a double
    hinged pewter mold, but for what? I originally though for ice cream or similar, however no top or bottom....

Any ideas?

IMAG2907.jpg IMAG2910.jpg

Thanks,
    PF

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Percy!

Sorry, but I'm not able to help.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Percy.
    I don't know either. But those who do will want dimensions.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Percy French

Percy French Member

Thanks Any Jewelry, I don't have it to hand but it would be approx 4" in height, outside is smooth and almost cone shaped.

Again, I had through ice cream mold as it is quite similar to this one found on google, only no top or bottom on it.

mold.jpg

5. Percy French

Percy French Member

Thanks Judy

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

hello Percy...what you have is a jelly...jello mold, circa 1840/1860...usually as yours is in 3 pieces, removable top and bottom and hinged body. Plainer ones were for aspics, meats set in gelatine. Did you check for marks, hope this info is useful......regards ...pewter2,

7. pewter2

Oh....forgot to welcome you,, so welcome to the forum.

8. pewter2

hello again Percy.....didn't read regarding what 2nd was all about so the explanation above is in regard to that one, now understood to be from Google.....Now yours, top pic......could be either a plain jelly mold or one for aspics.?? or terrine, or mousse...Yep , and the first things to be separated are the tops and bottoms. I spent 12 years looking or one to suit one I had, no go. Sorry for the confusion regards again...pewter2

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is that a circular metal "surround" peeking from the top edge of your picture?

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Percy! Nice basket-work design on that mold. But I'm having trouble visualizing how it looks when closed. Can you show a picture from the side like the one in your example picture in post #4?

Most 3-dimensional food molds are made up of multiple pieces, with the bottom and top separate from the hinged sides. So I think those are simply missing and not intentionally left out.

At 4 inches tall, ice cream seems a reasonable conclusion.

yourturntoloveit and aaroncab like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I reckon that is for moulding a raised pie with a hot water crust.