Pewter Phesant salt & Pepper Antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Jan 29, 2015.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Hi again, An old friend gave me these about 37 years ago. The heads screw off to fill them,it looks like there was a gold color on them once upon a time as I see some residule in the creases. Would anyone know who made them and their age? They are not marked.
    Tank you.
    DSCN2390.JPG
    DSCN2391.JPG

2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

They are different birds but I believe from maybe the same maker of different birds? Thank you :)

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Some people are referring to them as peacocks. Here is a set on WorthPoint. The seller didn't seem to know anymore about them as it seems any of us do. The seller called them silver.
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pair-silver-peacocks-salt-and-pepper-shakers

This seller is calling them silver plated.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/213904787/silver-plate-salt-and-pepper-shakers?ref=market

and this seller is calling them pewter silver.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/76415367/pewter-silver-peacock-salt-pepper

--- Susan

5. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank you Susan,those are identical to mine. I raised peacocks and the head plumes on mine look different from a real peacock but I guess the artist made his own version? ;)

6. Ladybranch

Shiloh, the seller of these shakers on Etsy in the last link I posted in my reply saying they are "pewter silver" says in the description: "As seen in RUE Magazine May/June 2011 (issue 5)." That issue of RUE is online. I scanned through the online issue with no luck spotting these shakers. I was hoping to see them with possible info on them. I didn't take much time in the search. You might have better luck. Following is a link to that issue online. It can be hard navigating the pages and still see the whole pages. By clicking the "Full Screen" button (the right hand square with the arrows in the corners in the tool bar that appears at the top of the page) makes it much easier viewing the pages. Click the arrows on the left and right sides of the pages to go to the next pages. I used the site's search engine using such keywords as peacock, salt and shaker with no results.

http://www.ruemag.com/magazine/issue/issue-five#1

--- Susan

7. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank you Susan,I am on my way now :)

8. spirit-of-shiloh

YIKES,my eyes hurt from the scrolling :) I would never part with them, just wanted some history . Maybe cause I am 66 I feel my life going fast and just want to save items I think are worth keeping for my daughters.Thank you.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I think they're probably supposed to be pheasants, peacocks tend to shown with a more extravagant tail, whether raised or down. Those shakers were very popular in the 1940s, give or take a few years either way, most I've seen appeared to be a zinc or antimony base rather than pewter...

~Cheryl

10. DragonflyWink

No information on the Rue magazine, shown on page 151, top left in the black wall cabinets...

~Cheryl

11. Ladybranch

>...page 151...<

You're good, Hawkeye Cheryl! After about the 20th page my eyes glazed over.

--- Susan

12. spirit-of-shiloh

I scratched one on the under belly and its very shiny so maybe zinc> :)

13. DragonflyWink

Quick search didn't find any gold-plated, but the first ad below is 1942 Gimbels, the other 1947 Sears:

pheasantshakersgimbels1942MilwaukeeJournal-a.jpg

pheasantshakerssears1947ToledoBlade-a.jpg

~Cheryl

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  14. spirit-of-shiloh

Mine have two plumes on their heads,the smaller one towards the forehead. I looked with a loupe and its faint traces of gold, maybe someone did it when the plating wore off?
    I have a vintage tea set that has weird gold all over it,I posted it on the antiques eBay board but it was a mystery? When I find the pics I will post on the silver thread as I am very curious about them.

15. DragonflyWink

We had a pair at some point in my childhood, there are all sorts of versions, can't see any reason they wouldn't have been done in gold as well as silver. Yours look sort of like the Asian peacock pheasants...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted