Pewter marks

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bluemoon, Nov 3, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The marks are faded and I think two of them are similar or the same mark twice. They may be upside down, I couldn't tell.
    The third, the most faded one almost looks like it says "FC" or "FG".

2017-10-31 16.46.04.jpg 2017-11-03 19.51.01.jpg 2017-11-03 19.51.50.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Could you post a photo of the item and maybe a slightly more distant view of the mark? I'm having trouble making it out.

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

2017-11-03 21.37.59.jpg

Here's the version of the picture that hasn't been cropped. I hope it's good.
    I didn't take pictures of the whole item, or had deleted them for some reason. The plate is currently being repaired (it had a hole), it's a simple pewter plate, charger or a platter and the rim looks like the 1700-1730 one here:

[​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I guess I just can't make it out well enough to get anywhere. I have several books of pewter marks and I did flip thorough one, Pewter Marks of the World, hoping I'd see something that clicked but it just didn't. Some of the old German marks used swirly initials but that's about all I can offer.

Sorry:(

5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Well, thanks for the help anyway. As I said earlier, I'm not sure which way around the marks should be viewed. Did you flip the picture upside down in case?
    By the way, I read somewhere that some pewterers used to sometimes use silversmith's hallmarks back in the day even though they shouldn't have. I saw a set of british hallmarks with swirly writing somewhere not long ago but can't remember what they were.
    That seems like an unlikely option though, doesn't it?

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And I don't think I see anything helpful here either....inverted and tried to enhance top image.......sorry.... z2017-11-03 21.37.jpg

bluemoon likes this.