Pewter (?) Fish Platter

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wenna, Jun 7, 2023.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I recently found this fish platter. Almost didn't get it because I couldn't tell what it was made of along with some condition issues. The finish was so odd and the metal so soft. But decided it was too beautiful and finely made to leave behind. After some research I thought it could possibly be a Kayserzinn piece. Alas, it has no marks at all to indicate this. But I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of an alternative maker? Age (early 20th century I think; Art Nouveau?)? Country of origin? Is it pewter (a member of a group on FB has suggested possibly Japanese antimony)? It measures just under 12" x 10" and weighs 1 lb 12 oz. Thank you all for your thoughts and input! 20230607_121440_rs.jpg 20230607_121450_rs.jpg 20230607_121455_rs.jpg 20230607_121501_rs.jpg 20230607_121510_rs.jpg 20230607_121542_rs.jpg

Chinoiserie, Boland, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  2. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Dang, I took new pictures but did not think to dust it off first! Sorry about the little pieces of debris.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks Aesthetic Movement to my eye.

Debora

moreotherstuff, Bakersgma and wenna like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like pewter.

Debora

Bakersgma and wenna like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Japonesque with the coi fish and chrysanthemum blossoms. And I agree that it does look like pewter.

komokwa, moreotherstuff and wenna like this.
  6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thank you both! That chrysanthemum is my favorite part!

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's lovely. You have a good eye.

Debora

wenna likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice piece! Kayserzinn was the most famous of the makers but there were several others. They usually marked their pieces. Other famous makers include WMF, Osiris, and Orivit. There were others in Europe, Scandinavia, and England. Given the motifs present, this could even be Asian in origin (Most likely Japanese).

Figtree3, cxgirl, wenna and 2 others like this.
  9. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thank you @verybrad. It looks like I won't be able to attribute this piece to a particular maker, but I am leaning towards Japanese...that wave action near the lower fish looks very Japanese in style to me.

Bev aka thelmasstuff and cxgirl like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The motifs do appear to be Japanese. But they were also used in the West during the period your tray was made.

Debora

wenna likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

This is fabulous.

wenna likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is quite beautiful, @wenna . Lucky you!

wenna likes this.