Pewter assist - spoons

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Dec 10, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

These came in a lot. Can’t figure out mark. IJ in one mark and appears to be struck TJ in other mark on same piece. The shield mark has a ship and anchor in addition to TJ. Maybe it’s supposed to be IJ but the bottom line didn’t turn out well in the punch. Looks like a strong and definitive T though. All by same maker with some pieces having the additional crowned symbol mark. Unsure what the symbol below the crown is. Anyone know it? CACC9726-CEDC-4136-A506-F30E490DC930.jpeg 59AE5814-D58E-415D-A673-025422E9A16A.jpeg B87EF6AC-7717-4A7D-B2F0-A107E9C34579.jpeg

2. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

largest spoons are termed slip top spoons where the middle one resembles a trefid spoon. there are 2 good pewter sites where you may obtain more details, I am a bit rusty re dates....resemble designs of 17th century but get a second opinion.........both on facebook.........."Antique Pewter" and also "Pewter Collectors Forum". good luck.

3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

It would be lovely if they were that old. I have a feeling they are somewhat contemporary reproductions but I hope I’m wrong! There are also some trefid forks in the lot by the same maker. The rest of the pewter pieces in the lot were Portuguese and German late 19th at oldest with some probably closer to mid 20th. Not that these couldn’t be older but I didn’t think they were period.

I did some looking but maybe I’ll try those fb groups. Thanks