Featured Pew End

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by stolenchyld, Sep 22, 2019.

1. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

I have a pew end I purchased years ago (for no reason but I always wanted one). I’m interested in learning how old it is, if possible. I purchased it in a salvage warehouse in Chicago, where there were a few others matching. I’m not sure what church it’s from and at any given time there are tons of salvaged items from churches in Chicago and the suburbs, so I have no clues there. Any ideas are appreciated- thank you!
    6310E647-D8B2-443F-B3D6-F2401B629744.jpeg FF8EC678-A03E-4FA4-A3F9-D6F19106219D.jpeg CB5AFD7B-E172-42C2-A674-C1E3D2C80F20.jpeg 0AC6088B-242B-459F-ACD1-979DF94D003D.jpeg B27E8BB1-8F9A-4CCF-A35B-D13B2D8B816B.jpeg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't help, but LOVE IT!!!! What a GREAT piece of art, and glad you haven't painted it!!! I would imaging it's fairly heavy?

3. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Thank you - I love it too! It’s so worn at the bottom from feet hitting it, it’s great. It’s so heavy and bulky I’ve been weary of hanging it, which is what I originally wanted to do. I love wood and I would never paint it.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It's like a piece of modern art evoking a time past.

Christmasjoy, judy, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In my experience, pews in one church are much like pews in most others of the same time period. I'm getting an Episcopal/Anglican vibe from the cross:

[​IMG]

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Wow Bron, When I first saw that I thought it was the grateful dead logo!!

gd.jpg

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Getting a Victorian vibe from this....thinking 1880s.

The tricky thing about ecclesiastical items is the conservatism of certain styles, i.e. gothic revival, that pass out of the stylistic mainstream yet persist in the church world. In other words, you can find gothic revival chairs in churches decades after they went out of style elsewhere.

Nevertheless, I'll stick with the above date. Is that pine and walnut?

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

1880 seems about right but see how this could have been made even later.... maybe even on in to the 20th century. As Ghopper said, church styles persisted for decades.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Agreed.

Search term "greek cross," but unless you find a local who recognizes it...

I would think the salvage warehouse would be most likely to provide source information.

12. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

personally i think its a celtic cross so i would suggest its from an irish community church in chicago

13. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Very helpful- at once point I started looking online at different crosses and gave up since there are so many.

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

For clarity's sake, I was using "Greek cross" in the sense of "cross with arms of equal length" or "quadrata"-- not a reference to origin/culture/geography/denomination.

I haven't a clue on that part. ;)

stolenchyld and Bronwen like this.
  15. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

I really don’t know my woods, but the cross is definitely a different wood from the rest, and the darker top just looks like it definitely has a stain and might be the same woods as the rest (pine?).

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A question I have but can't answer is whether the inner side of the panel shows signs of ever having had a kneeler attached.

KikoBlueEyes and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Most appropriate post I've read all day, thanks! :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted