Featured Peru sterling Zippo lighter

Discussion in 'Silver' started by charlie cheswick, Sep 20, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi folks

bought this cool sterling zippo at local auction yesterday (picked up today)

wasn't as good a deal as i thought, but still mega happy with it

you can tell by the auction photo, there are problems with the lid

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...8a6646f/homewares-and-interiors-sale-lot-813/

so when i picked it up today the lid wouldn't close at all

all it took was to straighten a tab on the inner lid that was bent over, bingo

does have one other problem though as seen in my photos, one of the hinge tabs has broken off at some time, probably by one of the auction guys trying to close it with the bent tab :rolleyes:

so nice i wanna keep it

worth having restored ? lid fully works and closes now, but would come off if pulled

any thoughts or info appreciated

zip1.jpg zip2.jpg zip8s.jpg zip6.jpg zip4.jpg

pearlsnblume, komokwa and Houseful like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

back in the day when I collected lighters , I sent an old zippo off to the company to be repaired........but it was the insert that needed work.....and the case was theirs.

A good jeweller should be able to fix up your case........ & if the price is right.....I'd do it.

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My son is a long-time Zippo collector/dealer. He says the case is NOT Zippo, though the insert is. Someone put a Zippo insert in a non-Zippo case. They may have had the case custom made by a silversmith to fit the Zippo insert. He says the age of the insert is 1961-1979 and the value overall is $75-$150. (Probably lower end of that due to the damage.)
    Zippo will not repair the case for you since it is not theirs. You might try a jewelers for repair. (Zippo will repair their own stuff.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 2:38 PM
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

5. charlie cheswick

that makes sense, seems they were made specifically for zippo inserts, but cases not actually made by zippo

https://lightergallery.com/peru-zippos

pearlsnblume, komokwa and bluumz like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

8. komokwa

hard for 925 to stand up to the wear a zippo will usually incur ....... specially the hinge ...... but the case gets dinged as well........... I'd fix it...

9. charlie cheswick

good point buddy, silver would be much softer. i really love zippos, cool tactile things. be a nice winter hand warmer as well :)

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For 15 quid, aw heck. Use big wood kitchen matches to light off the stove and let this little guy be a shelf sitter.

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

I have a few kicking around..... one I found when just a kid..:hilarious::hilarious:

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Hey Charlie,

I don't want to piss on your parade :D

You must have been spying on me, I found 5 Zippos in a box at my lock-up today, lord knows how long I've had them or where they were from.

20240920_203314.jpg

20240920_203407.jpg

20240920_203343.jpg

20240920_203346.jpg

20240920_203354.jpg

sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted