Period tavern table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

I'm in P.A., found this tavern table at auction. Is it 18th century? The construction looks correct. One side panel looks replaced, should I chance it? TIA :)

imgEN1369TG.jpg imgGTCQ9XOV.jpg imgW1JJ27TL.jpg img81L9QU2Z.jpg img6XKLJMXF.jpg imgJ3RF8N6Y.jpg imgXCPW4N4K.jpg imgI31DST5H.jpg

Michael77 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    With the repair to the side and lack of wear on the bottom legs I would due a great deal of thinking before purchasing.
    greg

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From the holes I'm seeing in the side (well I see at least one hole!) of the top, it looks like at one time it was a 'tilt-top'. Wondering if the top is original to the bottom??? BUT, I LIKE the TOP!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well.

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a pinned top table built from old & new parts, no, the top is not original to the base.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like the legs and feet are where the age is.......

7. James Conrad

What auction? what did description and or condition report say?
    Pook is probably the top auction house in PA with Freeman a close second but, there are plenty smaller houses that are good as well, Conestoga & Wiederseim come immediately to mind.

judy likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Some parts seem to be, some parts are not. In addition to top being replaced, the drawer front looks replaced/ rebuilt as well, ditto one of the side aprons.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Daniel oshaughnessy and judy like this.
  9. James Conrad

The table is small & attractive but, with all those structural repairs/replacements value would be minimal unless there were other factors like historically important to overcome those issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted