Featured Perfume Bottles & Case

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RedHillRascal, Apr 11, 2023.

1. RedHillRascal

RedHillRascal Member

Hi all,

This set of two perfume bottles and case were given to me by a friend. I have no information on them, other than they supposedly could date to the 1820s, but no earlier than 1810 because the Vendome Column, which appears on one of the bottles, was not completed until 1810. No makers marks anywhere. They are probably French.

The caps on each of the perfume bottles have hand-painted miniature scenes, one of a Neoclassical looking building, and the other of the Vendome Column in Paris. Both the bottle caps and the rim of the case are gold.

Would anyone be able to help me track down a maker or a more definite date for this piece? Perhaps what the miniature painting of the columned building on the bottle depicts?

Thanks!

IMG_3290-min.JPG IMG_3291-min.JPG IMG_3293-min.JPG IMG_3294-min.JPG IMG_3295-min.JPG IMG_3296-min.JPG IMG_3297-min.JPG IMG_3298-min.JPG IMG_3299-min.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @RedHillRascal & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

My initial reaction is WOW that is one mighty good friend & this is truly a treasure to behold!!!!!!! :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

I can see this easily being French or Bohemian & the supposed dating of the mid-1800s would not be unreasonable.

Have you looked at the pieces for any identifying marks? Acid-etched marks can be hard to see at times. Try viewing the bottoms of the pieces next to a sunny window or under a strong light. You may have to tilt the pieces in different directions to catch a glimpse of any signatures or marks. There could also be marks on the metal pieces so dig out a magnifying glass & look there also. :):)

This link is to a similar one offered up on 1st Dibs. They call it Bohemian Moser Grand Tour.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...tour-crystal-box-scent-bottles/id-f_31198822/

This one without any bottles on Ruby Lane is claiming it is French.

https://www.rubylane.com/item/513876-2868/Antique-French-Ruby-Red-Glass-Casket

The tall skinny structure definitely appears to be the Vendome Column in France.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colonne_Vendôme_-_Place_Vendome,_Paris_20_April_2011.jpg

Maybe @kyratango can help you out with the other image.

4. bercrystal

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wow that is simply gorgeous. I need to find friends like that.

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First thing I thought too, what a beautiful gift.

8. bercrystal

Even though this is totally not the kind of perfume bottle I collect it would have to stay with me for a least a few months or so just so I could admire it every day. :happy::happy:

9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Splendid!
    Deborah got right Palais de la Bourse (Stock Exchange) and yes, colonne Vendôme:)
    I'd say French, 1840s.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not my thing either, but DANG those are nice.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted