Featured Perfume Bottle? Made in India and Large Ship Pendant Questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

Good morning to all! I was given another group of jewelry and miscellaneous items. I only have pictures at the moment of these two which I hope I can get some help with. I will post the other things when I get pictures taken.

First up...a Made in India bottle with a dauber. Is it a perfume bottle? How can I determine if it is made of plastic, MOP, bone or something else? Age? I know it has issues with condition. It is 2 1/2" long and 2" wide.

Second piece...A huge very detailed ship pendant. I think it is pewter as the metal seems very soft and easily bendable. The ship itself is 5" long and 4" wide. The length of the triple chain is 16" and it has a 6 1/2" extender with an anchor at the end and hook clasp. I've never seen anything like it. Any idea of age or where it is from?

Thanks for looking. I would appreciate any and all opinions, and comments.

India resize 1.JPG India resize 2.JPG India resize 3.JPG India resize 4.JPG Ship resize 1.JPG Ship resize 2.JPG Ship resize 3.JPG Ship resize 4.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a kohl bottle, for powdered kohl.
    People have been known to use kohl bottles for perfume, but I would advise against it with bottles that have some kind of adhesive, like yours, or are made of organic materials, for instance bone.
    It is MOP. Indian kohl bottles are mostly of either natural/organic materials or metal. The lovely sheen on your bottle is that of MOP.
    Looks 1960s, maybe brought back from the Hippie Trail.
    I am a kohl bottle collector, and I prefer it like that.:happy:

The ship is gorgeous, with all that detail. It could be plated, but maybe have it tested for silver?

3. Lizzie

Thanks Any! I was hoping you would take a look. Initially I wondered if it was Kohl bottle but when I researched, I only found ones made of metal. How nice to find that it is MOP.

I can and will test the ship for silver. It is amazing piece although I can't imagine wearing it.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

This style is considered more of a souvenir, so not all collectors would regard this as a 'proper' kohl bottle. I would. If it is intended to be a kohl bottle, it is a kohl bottle, imo, even if it is a souvenir.
    Which is probably why I have about 80 kohl bottles.:hilarious:
    A lovely material. I have one kohl bottle that is made from a cone shell, polished down to the MOP.
    Wonderful, will you let us know?

bercrystal, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  5. Lizzie

I will definitely let you know.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that ship is sixties, there was a thing for huge nautical pendants.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Thanks Owned. I remember all the anchor pendants from that time period. I never saw anything like this though.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Going by shape, growth lines & appearance of seams, I would guess this was made from a clam shell, the 2 sides glued together, cut down to flatten the ends & polished down to the nacre. I love stuff like this.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

So do I. Also those MOP shell purses.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Was going to mention I have several of those. Also novelty 'spoons' using various types of bivalve shell for the bowl.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous!

12. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I don't know what kohl is but the ship pendent is Beautiful!

13. Any Jewelry

Kohl is that dark makeup around the eyes, usually black.
    We use kohl pencils now, but traditionally it was powder or even soot from burnt herbs.
    If you think of Ancient Egyptian eyes, like on the mask of Tutankhamun, that is kohl. King Tut used dark blue kohl, probably dark green and black as well, all of which were the usual colours in Ancient Egypt.
    In India kohl is black.

Pattywithay likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Below my MOP shell kohl bottle, also Indian. It has a mirror inside the lid, which is just big enough to see one eye.:cyclops: It came with a rather crude bone applicator, which I still have.

DSC01629 - kopie.JPG DSC01777 - kopie.JPG

I think I've had it since the 60s, but it could be a year or so later. It was my second kohl bottle.
    My first was a bronze/brass peacock shaped one, which my father brought back from Lebanon in the early 60s. It unscrewed in three pieces and the tail could flip over, which all fascinated me as a little girl.:playful:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Lizzie

That is lovely Any! Thank you for sharing.

And I tested the ship...not silver at all.

Thanks to everyone who took a look and shared info. You are all so appreciated for sharing your knowledge and opinions.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Beautiful nonetheless.

komokwa likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the ship has gravitas,,,,:hungry:

18. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

If you search "j jay" sailing ship necklace, there are quite a few examples shown for sale. I don't see if/where yours is marked, but it may useful to find the origin of yours. My own gut feeling is that none of the ship necklaces being sold are as old as people are claiming they are (but having it in hand might alter this feeling)

komokwa likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Thanks for the information Quirkygirl. I will check it out. Because I know where this came from and where/how she aquired it, I can say with certainty that this one is no later than the 1960's.

quirkygirl and komokwa like this.
  20. Lizzie

Komokwa...I had to look that word up, and yes I would agree.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted