Pearls group 1

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by dude, Feb 21, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Will be photographing and posting different pearl pieces in the next hour. Here's the first:

IMG_20200220_235106.jpg IMG_20200220_234803.jpg IMG_20200220_234851.jpg IMG_20200220_234923.jpg IMG_20200220_235121.jpg IMG_20200220_235115.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The irregular shaped beads look to me like they may be natural pearls. I couldn't make it out in the image, but the clasp on that necklace, called a "safety clasp," may be 14k gold-filled.

The pearl-like beads in the other necklace look like they may be glass, coated with a pearly substance made from fish that can flake off and leave bare spots. The clasp on that necklace looks like a common cheap one.

Others may have different thoughts...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Would you say the glass ones are donation material or would they do okay in a costume jewelry sale online? I try not to waste time with items that won't fetch at least $10 as online sales are time consuming.

4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat P...The irregular ones appear to be fresh water pearls...The other costume, with that clasp for sure. You could do the tooth test. Take the pearl and rub it on the biting edge of your front tooth. If it is real it will feel gritty, fake one feel smooth!

as far as $$ the round ones appear to be flaking already, doubt you'll get anything much for them. The freshwater(if the are and are real) should bring 15-30? if you are lucky

Christmasjoy, dude and Pat P like this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I'll try to get a better pic of the clasp on the one and put it on in a few.

Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If the glass ones aren't flaking, they might go for more. I have some old necklaces and loose beads that were made this way, but I haven't researched prices.

If they're flaking, I'd be surprised if anyone wants them. And if they do, someone please tell me 'cause I have flaking ones I could then sell! :hilarious:

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree with necollectors that the irregularly shaped ones look like fresh water pearls. Had a senior moment and couldn't for the life of me remember what they were called!

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pat and NC

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Did not see any gold mark on the clasp, BTW
    IMG_20200221_004857.jpg IMG_20200221_004834.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member