Featured Paul M. Roche Etching Washington Monument: Acidity Removal Process

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked this etching up in Dayton, Ohio on my last trip down to auction. I wanted to be able to post the process of removing the acidity and staining from a print. I have been waiting for some really sunny days and we finally are going to have a few. I took pictures of the print as purchased and removed from the frame. I am using a plastic storage tub and distilled water. The print is sitting on a piece of plastic screen on top of the original glass. The screen is to stop the print from sticking to the glass when it dries. You need the glass for support because the paper is weak when wet, if you try to pick up the print you can tear it. I will keep posting pictures as things progress and let you know how much time it was soaking. I have done about 15-20 or prints using this method, some turned out great and I have destroyed a couple. Straight black ink etchings and lithographs seem to turn out the best. If someone could find another example of this print, that would be nice, I would like to see what color the paper was originally.
    IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1866.JPG IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1870.JPG IMG_1871.JPG IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1873.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. Lithographer

Thanks, I think I will shoot for the lighter colored version. It is printed on Rives paper so it should hold pretty well soaking for a few days. I will flip it over and do the front on the next sunny day. Much of the toning was removed today and the second water change was pretty much clear. Now it will be a matter of letting the sun bleach the dark areas. I have used a little 3% hydrogen peroxide in the past too, but if you go to far you will end up with stark white paper.

moreotherstuff and wlwhittier like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

My go-to chemistry is most often Sodium Percarbonate* crystals. It produces Hydrogen Peroxide when mixed with water. Excellent for removing organic material, and it can be mixed as weakly or strongly as you please. Cheap in moderate quantities, stores well, and nowhere near as aggressive as Sodium Hydroxide. It has a mild, inoffensive odor even in strength. After a few trials, you won't want to be without some.

*It's the functioning ingredient in OxyClean.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  5. Lithographer

It sure works well on clothes and carpet stains. By the way have you tried using that archival spray for buffering paper? I think it is a solution of magnesium oxide.

6. Lithographer

This was the first change of the water, you can see how staining from the cardboard backing was removed. The print was soaked and in the sun for 6 hrs today, you can tell how much the staining was reduced.
    IMG_1874.JPG IMG_1875.JPG

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've washed a few prints, but only in a most elementary way. I'm not going to muck around with bleaches. They don't differentiate between paper and ink.

What I would like is a safe way to do a surface clean. I've heard of document cleaning pads, but it seems to me that they are essentially finely crumbled eraser. Makes me nervous.

8. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

That's the Washington Monument in Baltimore, MD. I have driven around it many a time! It is a really pretty monument and a well known landmark.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. Lithographer

My dad grew up in Elkridge, we used to go to Maryland to visit relatives when I was a kid.

PepperAnna likes this.
  10. Lithographer

Day 2 progressing nicely, full sun today. I added 2 tbsp of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to a gallon of distilled water. Doing the front of the print today then I will decide how much more treatment it needs. Did end up with a couple small tears in the margin, easy to fix and will be under the mat anyway.
    IMG_1889.JPG

11. Lithographer

Very pleased with the reduction in toning today. I can tell what color the original paper was now. It spent about 4-5 hours in the bath today. I did rinse it off thoroughly before I brought it in. I think I will need another day to reduce the toning to where I want it.
    IMG_1890.JPG

12. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Man, I'd be happy enough with the improvement so far! Dramatic difference. Does this process affect the ink at all?

PepperAnna and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  13. Lithographer

The ink is oil based, it does not appear to be affected. I have had cases where the paper fell apart though.

14. Lithographer

Did about another 6hrs in the bath today, full sun. No hydrogen peroxide. Significantly reduced the staining on the back. I will check it when it dries. I am pretty close to the stopping point.
    IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

PepperAnna and moreotherstuff like this.
  15. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Amazing improvement! great job.

Draft saved Draft deleted