Pairpoint Quadruple Plated 3 pc. set - Need help w/ age & purpose of 3rd piece.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Mar 7, 2015.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I picked up this set a few weeks back & I was hoping someone could help me out.

What is the purpose of the small 3rd piece? It is 2 1/2" to the top edge & is 2" across.

When do you think it was made? Does anyone know pattern names of Pairpoint hollow ware pieces? I looked at Replacements, but they didn't list it by pattern, in fact they had it listed as #2031 & all 3 pieces have the number 2028 on the bottom.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!!! :kiss:
    Peggy

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I can't find this Pairpoint pattern on the big replacement site. The pattern name may be Sea Serpent - Mermaid Tail, but can't confirm that. The pattern number is 2028. That 3rd piece is called a waste bowl that accompany tea services. Found the following pic of a complete tea service in this pattern. Note the Turkish style teapot with sugar, creamer and waste. It seems the tea service was originally on rubylane, but not there any longer. The description is very short with only:

"Pairpoint Silver Tea Set 2028 Turkish Style Hookah Shaped Teapot from mercymaude on Ruby Lane."

http://weheartit.com/entry/group/18268241

--- Susan

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sugar, cream, and spoon holder, they're illustrated in the 1894 Pairpoint catalog on page 88 as No. 2028 ('Satin' finish, 50 cents extra for 'Gold Lined'), the set with caddy, shown on the link in post #2, which is missing its sugar spoon, is shown as No. 2031. The No. 110 coffee set with pot, sugar, creamer, spooner, along with the No. 1129½ waiter, is illustrated on page 8.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. bercrystal

Thank you everyone!!!! :kiss::kiss:

Cheryl - I am quite surprised that this would be a spooner because of the relatively small size. Would this have been for demitasse spoons rather than regular teaspoons?

Peggy

6. DragonflyWink

Well, the service was for coffee, as are demitasse spoons...

~Cheryl

7. bercrystal

Thank you again!! :kiss:

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Consider: most of us had to study T.S. Eliot. And we all remember the line about life being measured out in coffee spoons. In England, one seldom hears the word demitasse for after dinner coffee (even when it actually IS demitasse). So the little spoons are "coffee spoons," which makes Mr. Eliot somewhat less confusing.

Somewhat.

gregsglass likes this.
  9. bercrystal

Thanks silver!! :kiss:

It makes more sense now.

Peggy

10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Are the Pairpoint catalogs on-line anywhere? Thank you!

11. bercrystal

Darkwing Manor - You may want to send a message to Cheryl directly. She may not even look in on this thread as it was done so long ago.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Peggy

12. DragonflyWink

Some of the glass catalogs may be available online, but the 1894 catalog I have shows primarily silverplate and is a fairly recent reprint - if you look around, it can be found at a quite reasonable cost on Amazon and other book-seller sites. There are two or three different editions, but they're not any different in content...

~Cheryl

komokwa likes this.
  13. Lisa B.

Lisa B. New Member

I was so pleased to see your post. I purchased the sugar and creamer pieces, but did not know about the toothpick holder. (That's what I've seen the third piece called on Ebay.) That's about all I know I'm afraid.

14. Lisa B.

Lisa B. New Member

15. bercrystal

Thanks Lisa B. :):)

That set went on to its forever home months ago. :happy::happy::happy:
    Peggy

Draft saved Draft deleted