Pair vases. Japan? Banko ware?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 20, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

When I saw those vases posted by cxgirl and identified as Banko from Japan, I thought of these. There are a lot of differences obviously. Most important to my mind: the bottom is different and these are unmarked. The crest on the front of one seems to have oriental characters near its bottom. Could these be Banko as well? (About 4 /12" high, 4 1/4" across at the widest.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I dunno, Bob. It's not my area, but the bases seem wrong to me. The one on the left does seem to have some Asian characters, but then, sometimes they are just "decoration." The one on the right seems to be kinda medieval/renaissance. Could be Japanese (MIJ), but whether Banko, I dunno.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Could be way off the mark, but the base makes me think of West German pottery.
    Mary

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Kind of all over the place, aren't they.

Draft saved Draft deleted