Pair of Japanese vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

2. Chinoiserie

I picked these up today. Matching pair and quite unusual. They have three strange marks on the side of each one, where something has gone amiss at some point. Either protrusions on the sides have been damaged so removed completely and ground down or some sort of mishap in the manufacturing/firing process. They stand at 12" tall and appear to be earthenware. I am thinking perhaps satsuma. Heavy crazing throughout and japanese mark on the base.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice...
    normally I run from crazing.....but for some reason this crazing seems almost natural, without a forced look.....

4. Chinoiserie

Thanks. I was more concerned about what the marks are on the side :nailbiting:

Do you know if they are satsuma and what the writing says on them?

Cheers

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why concerned?
    the whole piece has to be investigated, as the marks alone are not always reliable.
    Others will be along who know more than i...:happy:

6. Chinoiserie

Okay thank you. PS By marks on the side, I was referring to where it looks like it has been damaged

7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

It looks like they both had a handle that has been broken off.
    Mikey

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

9. Chinoiserie

Thanks for this. I still have a look. I have found a similar example online with what the ha does might have looked like. The band around the bottom is very similar so possibly the same manufacturer.

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/704883779163511022#imgViewer

dgbjwc, Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted