Pair of Copper Model Submarines

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by lh59803, Aug 22, 2023.

1. lh59803

lh59803 Member

Hi everyone,
    I've got a pair of copper submarines here. The larger weighs 8kg and is around 65cm in length, and the smaller is just under 4kg at about 45cm. There doesn't appear to be any makers marks on them.
    The person I received them from said that they were made 'by apprentices at aircraft management systems in the early 60s.' After a little bit of searching around online, I haven't been able to find anything exactly like these, so they seem quite unique.
    Any thoughts? Any ideas on what model submarine they might represent, and if they'd be valuable? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated! I'd be happy to provide more photos if it would be helpful. 20230821_151949.jpg 20230821_151949.jpg 20230821_151955.jpg 20230821_152014.jpg 20230822_100831.jpg 20230822_100836.jpg 20230822_100855.jpg

Potteryplease, Boland, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Can't help, but I love them.:)

Potteryplease, Boland, cxgirl and 6 others like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Do subs have gun turrets? I don't see them as subs - they look more like sleek boats to me. If they were OOAK made by a hobbyist they are probably just fantasy designs and not based on real prototypes

Bronwen, johnnycb09 and lh59803 like this.
  4. lh59803

lh59803 Member

Very good points, thank you!

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Beautiful !

Models of British 'T' or 'S' Class submarines, which date back to just before WWII. The ill fated HMS Thetis was a T class submarine.
    Cdr., Edward Young, DSO., DSC., states in his 1952 book 'One of our Submarines', that many sailors made wooden models while on patrol to help pass the time, ships in bottles. model boats, even violins, but, as he says, ERA's (Engine Room Artificers, or engineers on board) with their skills and tools etc. made their models in scrap brass and copper. I think that it is quite possible that these are such models, or as mentioned, possibly apprentice pieces, though, speaking as a metalworker, I do not think that these are quite good enough for that.
    And yes, the 'T' and 'S' Class submarines did have a turret and gun emplacement forward of the conning tower!

HMS Thermoplyae.....
    HMS Thermopolyae.jpg

6. lh59803

lh59803 Member

Amazing! Thank you so much for this context!

cxgirl, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful-I'd take 'em, Meiji level craftsmanship or not ! Folk art works for me. Where may I ask are you located Ih*****-more specifically are you near a port town/naval base ?
    PS-& why didn't I find 'em ?
    PSS-Closest I could find,don't get too hot & bothered re the $ amount.These high-end Dealers try to impress each other & wealthy rube clients w/ their bloated asking prices.

-Yours looks more detailed than this one-

https://sirjacks.com/products/trenc...hIVMrnMWQEu7bENVSVYumdSi7cnkov0SMirpSgbh_RyTI

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    lh59803, cxgirl, wlwhittier and 4 others like this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Those are Treasures! Thank you for sharing!

10. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Jeeeez, $2k- over $4k................Perhaps I'll have to go into the forgery business!:eek::rolleyes:

They are beautiful models, but not at that price, not for me anyway! That said, the example that DD has posted is especially nice!:happy:

lh59803, cxgirl, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Have to try to remember this description. There is jewellery, presumably for sweethearts, utilizing coins of low value & operculums from turban/green sea snail shells, that seems to have been a craft idea that spread in the navies. I have such a bracelet, using British coins, that closes with a working buckle.

Any Jewelry, lh59803, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Stunning models !!!!!!!!

lh59803, wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  13. bosko69

I would've been breakin' my arm trying to yank my wallet out if I'd have seen this pair ...but hopefully not breaking the bank.
    Yer a lucky person IH,at 27-you may have a promising future in The Trade ! (unlike myself rooting thru the Good Will bins ).

lh59803, wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  14. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Wear it with Pride, Bosko...You've earned it! (No irony, nor opprobrium, intended sir.)

15. bosko69

Thanks Whit-I know you've probably found some singular things in unique locations.
    I've picked in some very strange places especially when I was young,limber & stupid.Just got to start conceiving of some new venues.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. lh59803

lh59803 Member

I'm in the UK, where I guess everything is relatively close to a port town!

komokwa, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  17. bosko69

True IH,it's a big island.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My father in law was an artificer. In Devonport dockyard as a youth all through the war, then went on to design guns. Big ones. He headed up teams at other dockyards and it was very common for the metal shop workers or the carpenters or whoever to turn their hands to fancies like this. I’ve still got a couple of bits, but nothing as handsome as these. They were and are very very skilled workers.

19. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow,those are very cool!

lh59803 likes this.
  20. bosko69

-words escape,i simply drool.

lh59803 likes this.