Pair of carved African drums - what are they called?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 29, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I looked & found a lot of images of carved/wood African drum but none thet were this small(or narrow I guess). They have figures carved into them as well as stipes carved all around.
    They are pretty & I think a lot of work went into carving them, but I'm wondering if they are anything special or just old tourists pieces (they have some age you can tell in photos of the bases)?
    They measure 22" high x 6" wide across the drum head
    What are these called & are they worth putting on ebay - or should I give them to some of the kids in the neighborhood? (I am running out of room & have to start going through things!)
    PS - I showed these before but I don't remember what the post was - I apologize for that
    Thanks all

MUSIC DRUM AFRICAN PAIR CARVED WOOD 1A_AA.JPG
    MUSIC DRUM AFRICAN PAIR CARVED WOOD 3AA.JPG MUSIC DRUM AFRICAN PAIR CARVED WOOD 3AAA.JPG MUSIC DRUM AFRICAN PAIR CARVED WOOD 4AA.JPG MUSIC DRUM AFRICAN PAIR CARVED WOOD 5AA.JPG

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

A djembe has a single head, and is held between the drummer's knees. These drums have double heads, and are designed to hang around the neck and be played with a hand on each end. They look more SE Asian/Indonesian to me, with the central portion made of bamboo. The designs look more typical of that region as well. I don't have time at the moment to look further, but here is another one on ebay. Unfortunately the seller has no more useful information:

[​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hand-Drum-Bamboo-2-Sided-/333524580738

janettekay, Houseful and i need help like this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

It's a great starting point & helps a lot - thank you!

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted