pair of Adam chairs ...Research?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rogerg, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Rogerg

Rogerg New Member

Hello we got these circa 1770 period Adam style armchairs over the weekend and would like to find out more about them. So far we have a tale spun by a NY dealer back in '95 that tie this pair to a suite they were marketing consisting of 4 chairs and a settee. He tied the suite to Lansdowne House London by virtue of a stamped IS on the pieces. The logic was that research showed the IS was an upholsterer's mark and that he had supplied goods to the house as it was being outfitted ( the research didn't reference these chairs). I have tried to research online but don't seem to be finding much about the house or the dispersal of it's contents. Any suggestions on the research and or value would be GREATLY appreciated. Pics are of the lesser of the two. Thanks!
    Roger
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Rogerg

Rogerg New Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Underside, bottom, feet and structural photos needed please, plus this stamped IS. It's been regilded: my gut feel is that they're later copies.

4. Rogerg

Rogerg New Member

pics of underside as much as I could (the boss said I couldn't take webbing down).
    There is evidence of past upholstering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Rogerg

Rogerg New Member

Evidence of pegged construction which I believe speaks to the age?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont see any evidence of woodworm holes,wich Id expect for a piece of this alleged age? They are lovely chairs regardless.

7. curiousantique

curiousantique New Member

Hi, the block shown is an Edwardian winged block. Hope this helps.

8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

9. Rogerg

Rogerg New Member

The type of block is very common on Edwardian pieces but here is an 18th cent example

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

• About
      A Fine Pair of Louis XV Giltwood Fauteuils Circa 1761-62 By Louis Delanois Maitre in 1761 Stamped Delanois The shaped back with a carved floral crest leading to two shaped scrolling arms, over four cabriole legs with carved floral knees all ending with tupie feet. Height 37 in. Depth 22 in. Width 26 in Similar model and example can be found in the Louvre, Paris. Reference: Le Mobilier du Musee du Louvre, by Bill Pallot, pg.94-95 Le Moblier Francais du XVIII siecle, pg.230-236. Provenance: Private Collection New York Cha158
      continue reading +

[​IMG]

A Fine Pair of Louis XV Giltwood Fauteuils By Louis Delanois, 18th Century

Request more images

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. Rogerg

Rogerg New Member

In my photos the pegs appear more uniform than they actually are on this chair. The pics were done at night and I didn't even see any through the gesso on the other chair. Today in daylight what appeared to me just an irregularity the other night proved to be the only peg telegraphing through and it is a diagonal oval about 1/4"x3/8". I noticed something else today that intrigued me. The arms are mortised into the back rails which I don't see on my other Chippendale furniture (purchased as known repro because my grandfather carved them). Is this a feature on English repros? I have absolutely zero experience with English furniture and this was a "wife impulse".

Draft saved Draft deleted