Featured Pair Enameled Glass Decanters

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Jun 25, 2017.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I would love to have the glassies' help identifying the origin, date, etc. of these pretty decanters.

Each one is 9" tall to the top of the stopper, 7" tall to the spout. Approx. 5 1/2" in diameter at its widest. Glass is wide optic. Handle is reeded. I'm not sure what the flowers are, but they're very pretty.

The stoppers also have enameled dots along the top. Evidently each one was made to fit the decanter as their bases are different size and will fit only their proper mate.

The bottoms have a good deal of shelf wear to the edges. The pontil is smooth but not polished. One appears to have the letter P. (with a period after the P) near the pontil, but of course could be just a mark.

All help is appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

WOW! sorry I can't help with maker, but those are STUNNING!
    Getting Bohemian Vibe. But really have no idea!

EDIT....I would think they are Cruets and not decanters.

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks, bdigger! I was thinking perhaps Bohemian, but I wasn't sure about the reeded handle.

They seem awfully big for cruets. I'll take another photo with something else so you can get a better idea of size.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Here's a not-so-good photo for size comparison:[​IMG]

5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I have seen bohemian glass with receded handles. The enameling says Bohemian to me, but it isn't the usual style of flowers I associate with Bohemian enamel.
    I would still call them cruets. Even though they seem large, being handled, stoppered and a pair are all features of a cruet set. Of course this is all just MHO. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
    I should add that the small white flowers are more Bohemian style to me, the blue flowers are what's throwing me. (Those say Germany to me) Also the base of the handle with the neat star pattern is cool. May be a clue.

judy and ascot like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Celery handles! They may actually be part of a dressing table set, I've seen cologne bottles like that. And possibly English.

yourturntoloveit and Ladybranch like this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input, Bear. I'm blown away thinking about a dresser set or cologne. And I've never heard of "celery handles" but it makes sense. Any idea what the flowers are?

[​IMG]

8. Ownedbybear

I think the flowers are confused given they come from the same stem! ;) Might be single delphinums or sort of campanulas.

judy likes this.
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

A ,ore common description of the handles for the US is reeded applied handle. I like the "celery" description.

10. Ownedbybear

So do I! I collect Whitefriars and they used the technique a great deal.

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, because both decanters and cruets have been mentioned as possibilities and because Ascot gave the description of "(e)ach one is 9" tall to the top of the stopper, 7" tall to the spout" this is just an idea but . . . I wonder if it could/would be worthwhile for Ascot to fill one with clean water to the bottom of the "neck" and then measure how much each/they did hold.

The amount they each would/could/did hold might help clarify whether they are cruets or decanters.

12. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about doing that but they're so difficult to dry afterward. The opening is very narrow. I'm always afraid they'll get cloudy inside-had t happen a couple of times and wanted to kick myself afterward.

13. Ownedbybear

OK, here's how you do it. Use hot water with care, and then obviously let them drain for a bit. Make a wick from rolled kitchen paper and tuck it in the bottle. Leave in a warm place and the moisture will be absorbed by the kitchen towel. I've been known to leave them on a radiator or in an airing cupboard.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Rinse them out using rubbing alcohol 70% they will dry quickly and no spots.
    greg

15. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips! Sorry for the delay--pruning gardenias today (I love working in the yard).

Filled to the base of the neck, the decanter holds 5 1/2 cups or 1 qt, 12 ounces.

For our metric friends, that's 1 liter, 300 ml.

Cruet or decanter?

16. Ownedbybear

Blimey, that's big, are you sure? It's the equivalent of just under two bottles of wine!

17. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Positive. I filled it, then started pouring into a 1 quart/1 liter measuring cup. When that was full, I added a 2 cup measuring cup, and sure enough, another cup and a half or 300 ml. The round/bulbous body is deceptive.

I'm sticking with decanter.

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have two matching very large Victorian milk glass cologne bottles that hold 5 cups each.
    Had three but sold one. They did not have a pouring lip like yours so I say decanters to yours.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

ascot and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted