Featured Painting-Thoughts only

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Aug 25, 2024.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

F3E56C95-58AE-4C78-B355-99774694D2B5.jpeg BFF68EA8-C857-46DD-93BE-6FF3A0657A1C.jpeg Hi all,this is by a ‘known’ artist: Johan de Vries. His work is not very highly priced/valued. But it is absolutely one my most favourite paintings. Surely not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’. But anyway I was just wondering what you all think if it? It’s dated 61’.
    Thanks

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I like it very much and sympathetically framed. Would give it houseroom too. But... Am I correct in that he was only 16 when he painted that? Internet gives his dates as 1945-2002.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I like it. Id hang it. In my younger years I was mad for Victorian type paintings. Heavy in detail,gold frames,etc. As Ive aged I find myself much more drawn to abstract style. The eyes need a rest I guess.

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

5A078F9D-2486-45D1-9058-41483CDCF1C8.jpeg 7CB3643D-649E-4FF2-9BCD-01189AFA7C13.jpeg 6BE250BE-01D4-453E-B303-5C1F5F8A7454.jpeg
    Many thanks for the reply Debora. Glad you like it. That is what I assumed. Maybe something he did in the school’s art class? It’s a board that he obviously re-used in part a few years later. There’s a very different style (I assume half completed) artwork on back dated ‘74.

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think it’s very cool. Glad you like it.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Must both be student works then. Easy to identify a couple of early influences. I see both Cézanne and Klimt.

Debora

1881-four-apples-c-1881-paul-cezanne.jpg.jpeg

il_300x300.6026493440_smsx.jpg.jpeg

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I like it. Hard to execute a still life and not have it look static. This has life!

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Pass.

Cezanne and Klimt? Absolutely!

Potteryplease and Boland like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I almost like it, but like what's on the back better. (I'm weird.)

Boland likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto-I like it a lot.The are different styles by a Johan de Vries online (several modern artists/same name ?).There's a 'clunky' social realism WPA-style blue-collar workers in a stained glass motif,there's also a few impressionist seascapes,can't find any others in this style by him,have you @Debora ?

johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, I couldn't find another still life. Not a lot of his work out there but... He seems to have been more interested in genre subjects.

Debora

johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  12. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I like it. :artist:
    Not a fit with my style. :pompous:

Potteryplease, johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hey! I found him on familysearch.org. Born in Malmesbury and died in Parow. Cause of death "Pneumonia." Occupation at time of death "Pensioenaris." Wife Elsa. Three children: Johan Jr., Anton and Nina.

Debora

14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It's not breaking any new ground, but for enjoyment I like it! Good color, texture, and composition. If I had the sort of decor style that complimented it, I'd hang it.

Potteryplease, johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  15. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for the research and information

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. I appreciate you searching and providing feedback.

17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha,well that’s also Ok. You are definitely not the only one :)

18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks all,I appreciate the responses. Good to get different opinions..

Potteryplease likes this.
  19. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

He should've stuck to this mid-century beatnik style,of course he would've had to wait 60 years for it become chic !
    PS-Is that what they call 'Boho chic',or does that involve 1960's Cost Plus/Pier 1 import stuff ?

Draft saved Draft deleted