Painting signed Owen Meilir

Discussion in 'Art' started by Martin s, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

I just pulled this out of attic.looks like an oil on board.It is signed Owen Meilir who it looks like is an artist from Wales and dated 97.it measures 16 high by 20 approx wide. JPEG_20240121_164128_resize_5.jpg JPEG_20240121_164150_resize_20.jpg JPEG_20240121_164216_resize_2.jpg JPEG_20240121_164257_resize_58.jpg
    Looking on line there and the signature seems to match up i think but not sure if the style does.

There is a initials, name and address also on the back of board.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Why is the name on the reverse not Meilir?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The signatures do seem to match up but... Doesn't look much like his other work. Perhaps it's an early piece.

Debora

d457c961-f7a9-4864-a217-6388964af512.Jpeg

Potteryplease, mirana and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Martin s

Yea i was wondering the same. it seems to be the initials .O.M which might mean Owen Meilir.? and then Owen his first name?.not sure but says online he born in small village Aberffraw .

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

mirana, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Martin s

There you go.im not on Facebook so wont let me look at his page.must be him so?

Thanks once again Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Wasn't this artist mentioned in a recent Antiques Road Show episode? One of the Welsh locations.

9. Martin s

Would love to kmow
    Would love to know if he was mentioned on an Antiques Road Show episode.That would be cool alright

RachelW likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This auction house in Wales has sold a lot of his work and they do "free no-obligation valuations." Why don't you contact them? (Or you could join Facebook and contact the artist direcctly.)

https://www.rogersjones.co.uk/

Debora

mirana and Martin s like this.
  11. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I've tried going back through the episodes I've watched recently, my youtube watch history, and I googled searched it, but I can't find it. I'm sure it was in a recent episode in wales, but perhaps I was mistaken. Sorry!

12. Martin s

No problem Rachel thanks

RachelW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted