Featured Painting by Pierre Moberg(?) + another w/same frame - artist? Plus 2 1930s Chas. Grove watercolors!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 20, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found these yesterday at a thrift store - they have the same frames & were both framed by Rag Shops; a framing company.
    The first I believe is by Pierre Moberg, but I don't know the second; I'm hoping since 1 is by a listed artist the 2nd one is by a known artist too?
    The last 2 are 1930's watercolors by Charles Grove, I just wanted to show you!

Thanks!

ART PAINTING MOBERG 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING MOBERG 5AA.jpg ART PAINTING MOBERG 9AA.jpg ART PAINTING UNKNOWN SIGNATURE FOUND WITH MOBERG PAINTING 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING UNKNOWN SIGNATURE FOUND WITH MOBERG PAINTING 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING UNKNOWN SIGNATURE FOUND WITH MOBERG PAINTING 8AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR SHIP SAILING 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR SHIP SAILING 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR LANDSCAPE BUILDINGS 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR LANDSCAPE BUILDINGS 5AA.jpg

Figtree3, kyratango and Roaring20s like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Back of the Grove painting - easy way to tell when you had it framed - newspaper's date!
    2nd one also covered by some type of print paper but no date. I wonder if just a mistake that they wrote 1927 instead of the 1937 that's on the painting?

ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR LANDSCAPE BUILDINGS 8AA.jpg ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR LANDSCAPE BUILDINGS 9AA.jpg ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR SHIP SAILING 8AA.jpg ART PAINTING GROVE CHARLES WATERCOLOR SHIP SAILING 9AA.jpg

Roaring20s likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Love the water colors but they need to be rescued from their acidic matts :wideyed:

I like the frames, simple and of the time.

Figtree3 and silverbell like this.
  4. journeymagazine

I thought about taking them out; especially the ship (which appears the worse for wear & is the only ship/seascape I've found by him)

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The very 1st one makes you kind of want to step right into the painting!!! NICE!

6. journeymagazine

Thanks! Is it by Pierre Moger?
    Any idea of 2nd one's artist?

7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

WOWZA! All at the same thrift? I am never so lucky!

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@journeymagazine, I DO think the first image says 'MOBERG' although it's a funny looking 'B'! I took YOUR image didn't enlarge that, but DID enlarge the part I wanted to see better 2X and sharpened.....you can see along the bottom at #1, it does say something not clearly though...I "think" it starts with 228 but that's all I see sort of clearly until the end where there are other numbers. What I enlarged is below YOURS..... Then where I have #2, there is some VERY small VERTICAL writing, that again, I can't make out... there just seems not to be enough paint on the canvas to make it clear when the image gets enlarged...... sounds confusing.....refer to yours above mine, then look down at mine, but not sure mine's much help this time!

ART EDIT MOBERG 5AA.jpg

1st Journey Signat-gigapixel-art-scale-2_00x-sharpen-Focus.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Please do, if you can take it out without damaging it further. The paper may be getting brittle.

journeymagazine likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

I came across the Chas. Grove painting (its been behind a stack of paintings in my bathroom of all places- I hide the ones I don't want to sell there!), and I did an image search on it - and one that looks like it came back as a Nicholas Markovitz??
    (https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/585874842/vintage-nicolas-markovitch-lithograph ) - could mine be a copy or it the Etsy seller's a copy - or are they different but I don't see it?
    PS - after reading this post again I looked for the ship painting, but haven't found it yet.
    Thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting about the watercolor being the same as the Markovitch litho. I have to think the watercolor is the copy. The Markovitch cityscape litographs were well circulated and date as far back as the 20s.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted