Paint Falling Off

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by nyc270, Feb 15, 2021.

1. nyc270

nyc270 New Member

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I usually see paint do that when the wood has gotten wet and dried back out. Is it in a new drier environment? If so it doesn't seem to appreciate it.

Bakersgma and StarCastle33 like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It looks to me that the original legs matched the top and someone painted them black. If you paint with a different kind of paint - let us say oil based paint or urethane and then use water based paint and don't prep the surface properly, the new paint won't stick. This is my guess as to what may have happened. Perhaps someone else will weigh in with a different idea.

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Vintage 1990? This looks like an import item. Would say the paint was not completely compatible with the finish underneath. Over time, the paint contracted and separated. Not totally unheard of for import stuff.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. nyc270

nyc270 New Member

Thanks to your response! We had the table for about 5 months before it started to peel. It may have taken that long for the wood to dry out? Nothing has ever spilt on it, but possibly from the different environment?

6. nyc270

nyc270 New Member

Yes, we had the console imported from Italy. The seller said it was from 1950’s and has been refinished.

7. nyc270

nyc270 New Member

The points where the paint is chipping and bubbling up have groves and indents in them. At first wasn’t sure why it seemed to have those holes which were not there months ago

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Go back to importer and make him eat the table....

The dating is questionable and the refinishing...was done improperly and with poor materials ...
    or so it would seem.....
    imo

Draft saved Draft deleted