Ostrog Bible. 1580 (Ivan Fedorov)

Discussion in 'Books' started by a.makarius, Apr 21, 2021.

1. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

Ostrog Bible was one of the earliest East Slavic translations of the Bible[citation needed] and the first complete printed edition of the Bible in Church Slavonic, published in Ostroh, in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (modern territory of Ukraine), by the printer Ivan Fyodorov in 1581 with the assistance of the Ruthenian Prince Konstantin Ostrogski.
    The Ostrog Bibles were printed on two dates: 12 July 1580, and 12 August 1581. The second version differs from the 1580 original in composition, ornamentation, and correction of misprints.
    The Ostrog Bible is a monumental publication of 1,256 pages, lavishly decorated with headpieces and initials, which were prepared especially for it. F

Please advise. How much can this Bible be worth in good condition? Complete copy, no defects

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @a.makarius . We don't generally do values, but I will tag a member for you who may be able to help find a similar copy so you can work it out: @Ex Libris .

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

[QUOTE = "Любые украшения, сообщение: 3945040, участник: 2844"] Добро пожаловать, [USER = 19803] @ a.makarius [/ USER]. Обычно мы не делаем ценности, но я помечу для вас участника, который может помочь найти аналогичную копию, чтобы вы могли решить эту проблему: [USER = 14916] @Ex Libris [/ USER]. [/ QU
    thanks

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Besides the two printing dates you mentioned, there were later reprints, including even modern reprints available on EBay. Which printing are you interested in finding out about, and if you have a particular one in mind, are you sure of its actual printing date?

5. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

this book is the first edition of 1580. There is an expert opinion on this bible.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If there is "an expert opinion" then why are you asking us?

You should post pictures of the important and identifying pages.

7. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

I want to know the real cost

Attached Files:

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

KSW likes this.
  9. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

a lot, prices are different

10. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

There is 17 century Serbian monastery called Ostrog in Montenegro.

11. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Take it to any Christian Orthodox Church they will be able to help you, or even buy it from you. Or any church.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

13. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

the town of ostrog is located on the territory of modern Ukraine. This is the bible of Ivan Fyodorov's manafactory. printed in 1580

14. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I am not a book expert, but for any orthodox christian I think this is a priceless book. You will be very rich when you sell it. Good luck.

komokwa likes this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Christie's Auction sold one of the 1581 editions in 2006 for 22,800 GBP. The estimate was for 10,000 - 15,000.
    https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4815478

You should contact an appraiser specializing in rare books and manuscripts for a formal evaluation. They will want to see the book.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Any Jewelry, Branka and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-4-21_15-29-24.jpeg upload_2021-4-21_15-29-44.jpeg

Yes...a Rare Book Dealer should be seen, at least.!
    There are condition issues which will bring the price down...........

Bakersgma and Branka like this.
  17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Cnristies sold another 1581 edition in 2020 for 25,000 GBP.
    https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6296941

As with any rare and unusual object, there is no certain "real cost" for such a book. Value is whatever a willing seller and willing buyer agree to. An auction, where there is more than one willing buyer competing, will be one of the best indications of potential value. A certified appraiser will know how to search prior auction records to see what similar items have sold for in the past.

The book you have shown would not be described as having "no defects", and condition is a very important factor in assessing value.

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it's Ostroh what he means, which is Ostrog in Russian, too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostroh

i need help and Branka like this.
  19. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I assume you know that many of the copies of this rare book were stolen from public archives and libraries in Ukraine and even one was stolen in Kazakhstan. I would suggest ti check it with Ukrainian security for coincidences in their database, unless you are 100% sure of its provenance. In extreme cases, the real cost might be a criminal charge.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Any Jewelry, KSW, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you, @April07 !

That’s very important information. I hope @a.makarius returns to see this.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted