Ormonde Alfred Meakin gravy boat info

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rayo56, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Need some info on this Ormonde gravy boat and under-plate. First I'm wondering if this is a marriage between the boat and a butter dish? Second, I'm trying to date it as all I can find it described as is "vintage". And lastly a value - I saw just the boat on an auction site appraised at 75$ but you know how appraisals go.

000_7837.jpg 000_7835.jpg 000_7832.jpg 000_7833.jpg 000_7834.jpg 000_7831.jpg

SBSVC likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Nope. Gravy boats came with platters. Sometimes they were even attached (I have several.) To find the separate matching platter and boat together is fabulous. Plus I collect blue and white so it's super fabulous to me! Doesn't help with value, though.

Rayo56 and judy like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Goddens identifies that mark as being used circa 1891+. Going by the style I would think it was produced not too long after 1891.
    Don

Rayo56 and Bev aka thelmasstuff like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Sigh. If only I needed another gravy boat.

komokwa likes this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Preachin' to the choir, sister!

komokwa likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Hi all - I'm his wife and I'm flattered that he posted pics of my favorite gravy boat! At least 30 years ago, my mom's co-worker was preparing for a garage sale after her mother passed away. She invited us over to pick anything we wanted and the minute I saw this, I had to have it. There were no other pieces to the set and I have no further history on it. I just loved it. Thanks for the kind comments!

Aquitaine, judy, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Ormonde is the name of the pattern so if you'd like to add other pieces search Meakin Ormonde. Replacements, Ltd. also carries this pattern. It is a very nice design.
    Don

Aquitaine and Rayo56 like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

My wife thinks I have magical shelves that just can keep accepting Blue & whites - I thought I was the one that kept collecting too much!! I think I'm filled up in the living room shelves!! JAPAN and BUFFALO Blue Willow, Hah, My Flow Blue is in my bedroom cabinet!!
    000_7838.jpg

Figtree3, dgbjwc, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm thrilled to have gotten my Mom's antique Blue Willow large set!!!!!!:):):):)

Rayo56 and dgbjwc like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

11. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

By the look of the stains on the piece the gravy must have been very rich. Mmmmm.
    Nice boat.

Draft saved Draft deleted