Featured Origins of Resin Sculpture and Trinket Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jake Karecki, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Jake Karecki

Jake Karecki Member

Greetings all! First post here.

When my mother recently passed away, I kept some of her sculptures that we carried with us my whole life. I'm only 31 and she was only 56 but I imagine the pieces she found could have been reproductions made in the 90s or could be much older depending on whomever sold them.

One is a gold and white trinket box with a gold paint on top of alabaster resin and the other is a golden goddess-esque figure in a similar style. Would love to track down more from this artist or even producer of these goods. I've come across Design Toscano who made a lot of similar pieces but haven't been able to find these online just yet. Would love any support from the community here!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    cxgirl, Figtree3, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jake. I'm sorry, you lost your mother at a cruelly young age.

We'll need to see what you're talking about. Be aware photo files have to be under 1 MB, & then please select Full Size when you post them. Goddesses are my specialty, so, bring her on.

cxgirl, Figtree3, silverbell and 4 others like this.
  3. Jake Karecki

Jake Karecki Member

All set Bronwen! Just had to figure out Antiquers platform a bit. Should be good now!

cxgirl, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Jake, your photos are in the Gallery. To insert to this thread, press the camera icon, embed photos.

5. Jake Karecki

Jake Karecki Member

Let me know if you see the photos now! Just had them embedded from the file library

Figtree3, judy, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Good now!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry for your loss....

Mom had a good eye...!

cxgirl, silverbell, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Both are Art Nouveau in style. If made of resin, they are modern reproductions (or fantasy pieces). Originals would most likely be metal and carved ivory (the combination sometimes call chryselephantine).

Can you show the inside of the box, and the bottoms of both? Resin pieces can have a distinctive interior designed for easy extraction from a mold.

cxgirl, kentworld, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

MOS said exactly what I was ready to say after seeing them. Very nice reproductions of pieces that would have been gilt bronze (that's the "chrys" part) & ivory ("elephantine").

The lady on the box lid does not appear to be anyone in particular, just your everyday luxuriating nude.*

* Actually, she looks drowned.

cxgirl, Figtree3, silverbell and 3 others like this.
  10. komokwa

is there a legend of a nude woman on a bed of seaweed ..?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELCOME to you, Jake, and so sorry for your loss......but those two pieces you're showing are very nice!! It looks like your Mom had a style she liked!

cxgirl, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bronwen

Ondine?

kentworld, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. Jake Karecki

Jake Karecki Member

Definitely resin in nature for both. I’ve found two other instances of folks finding one at estate sales but no one’s the wiser as to where it was from.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/art-nouveau-jewelry-box-casket-nude-814692709

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/126...box&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

the bottom of the box has a sticker for a store that’s no longer in business. “All Wicked Things” at allwickedthings.com. Phone number listed for the store but looks like they’re gone now :/

but after looking online last week I got no where until today with the box. I imagine both were purchased from the same store but I’d love to figure out more about the statue now.

Open to any and all feedback for similar work you may have seen!

cxgirl, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  14. komokwa

well, yer getting closer.......
    good search on the other 2 boxes..

Bronwen and judy like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers!

Does your box have the same "red spatter" inside the bottom and the lid as shown and mentioned in the etsy listing? That seems pretty unusual.

Also, what is the area code for the All Wicked Things store? It might not help, but could narrow down their location, for what that would be worth.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  16. Jake Karecki

Jake Karecki Member

Looks like All Wicked Things' number was a southern California store based on the area code but they are out of business and the number's out of service.

No red spatter on the inside of my box. It was used for votive candles of all things lol

Anyone else every see anything of this sort? Closest thing I can find are Oliver Tupton resin sculptures which are close in essence but not his work particularly. Any other artists you all can list here that might be a close fit would be much help!

Figtree3, Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted