Featured Original Thomas N Toner Oil on Canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by SeaGoat, Jan 23, 2023.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just acquired this piece from a rental home rented by a TV actor, it was left abandoned by the actor in the home.

It measures 60x69"

I googled Memento Mori and came back with..
    "A memento mori is an artwork designed to remind the viewer of their mortality and of the shortness and fragility of human life."

I also see the painter was born in 1941 and died in 2007.

That's all I really know.
    My friend is looking for any other sort of information someone can come up with?

I find it neat to look at it, I like the color scheme, but I dont think I'd love it in my house :shy:
    It almost reminds me of something from The Labyrinth..

Is there a name for these sort of creatures?
    Any idea on the symbolisms?
    Value of the piece?

I've asked him for better up close pictures, I'll post them when I get them.

IMG_8553.jpg IMG_8555.jpg IMG_8554.jpg

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I wonder what that "PAFA" below the painter's name means?

edit: Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    mirana likes this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

https://www.mutualart.com/Artist/Thomas-N--Toner/36924F1A010D144C

Thomas N. Toner's work has been offered at auction multiple times, with realized prices ranging from 50 USD to 700 USD, depending on the size and medium of the artwork. Since 2010 the record price for this artist at auction is 700 USD for Surrealist, nocturnal composition, Selkirk's label to verso, sold at Selkirk Auctioneers & Appraisers in 2021.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Found this signature for one of the above's works of art. Not exactly like the signature of yours, but pretty close.

Capture.JPG

pearlsnblume, komokwa, mirana and 5 others like this.
  4. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Good find!
    I guess they would sign it like that as a student?
    Or would this be a student copy and the PAFA would recognize that?

johnnycb09 and tie.dye.cat like this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

I'm not sure. Art, while I admire it greatly, is not my forte for sure. I am in Pennsylvania though, so a coincidence there!

I like the painting; it's so interesting. I would think with the right decor, it would definitely be wanted!

johnnycb09 and SeaGoat like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks right for his work. The painting itself is an example of Surrealism. I would describe the figures as grotesque.

Debora

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

When you ship it, roll it so the paint is on the outside, use paper or lightweight plastic between the rolling. I like it a lot, but I always tend to appreciate the odd art. :)

charlie cheswick and SeaGoat like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, he is represented in some collections.

"Over two-thousand of Toner's works appear in public and private collections, including the Los Angeles County Museum, The Baseball Hall of Fame, U.S. Embassies in England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy, University of Rhode Island, University of Michigan, El Paso Museum, St. Louis University Winterthur Museum, Brandywine Museum, and others."

Debora

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The Guy's good,surprised the record for his work is only $700.He's placed in some pretty prestigious locations.I also thought bizarre funky surrealism was hotter,but the whims of the art market are fickle.

SeaGoat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted