Origin Hammered and enamelled copper bowl?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Hi2022, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    some time ago I bought this bowl along with a few other items on an auction.

I think it's made of copper but I'm not sure.
    beautifully hammered on the outside and painted /enamelled on the inside.
    it is 5 cm high and top diameter is 16 cm. It weighs 192 gr.

Does the painting/enamel a specifiek name?
    what is the purpose of use?
    when was this made
    is it a typicall India brasswork or is it produced somewhere else?
    does it have any collection value?
    Thanks for looking and your help.
    Greetings 20220117_210755_copy_1209x1209.jpg 20220117_210812_copy_1209x1209.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't have any other terms for it, but know there are people who enamel the inside of copper bowls & other people who collect them. I have one I love & bought from someone who had many by the same artist. I like yours very much.

3. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bronwen ,

could it be a singing bowl? when i tap it, it sounds low and vibrates nicely but for a short duration

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very pretty! Copper, not brass and I doubt Indian. Artisan work. Where did you find it?

judy, Hi2022, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great colours!. Very nice bowl :)

Aquitaine, judy, Hi2022 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Smaller than I thought when looking at the first picture.

Aquitaine, judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

via an online auction in holland.

i dont know the difference between copper and brass. I thought copper is yellow and brass is reddish

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Copper is red,depending on the type of brass it could be yellow.And then there is red brass/Merlin's gold/NuGold which looks like 14K gold when polished.

9. Bronwen

If you do an eBay search for 'copper enamel bowl' you will see many others. The value is in the enamel work. The copper bowls are like blank canvas for a painting.

Aquitaine, Hi2022 and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is nice, but not a singing bowl. Singing bowls are never enameled, and they are cast and thick-walled. They are made in Himalayan countries, whereas your bowl is typical of Western countries. It could be Dutch.

Bronwen, Hi2022, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

thanks Anyjewelery. Any idea which Dutch artist makes such a thing. Should I look for metal werkers or enamel artists? Or is this the work of a hobbyist?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

At the bottom I see incarved rings. Can this help identify the metalwork?
    Do you see any signs of age or is it 2+ years old. i bought it abouth 2 years ago:)

13. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

thanks @Bronwen Are there certain things you pay attention to? How can i value the enamel work?

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Check it over to make sure there are no chips or scratches. Also look carefully for a signature. Once you can describe it accurately there are 2 ways to go.

You can decide how much more than you paid for it you would like to get, how much profit you want to make, & offer it for sale at a fixed or negotiable price.

Offer it in auction format with an opening bid that is the minimum you would accept & hope it catches the eye of at least a couple of bidders who will bring the price up. Unless this was made by a prestigious artist or company, it will have to sell itself on its visual appeal.

Value is always & only the most someone is willing to pay for it today.

Recommend you use eBay advanced search to look for sold listings of 'copper enamel bowl' & put them in order of most expensive first. It will give you an idea of the current market.

Lark and verybrad like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I have no idea, sorry. I expect an artist would sign or mark his/her work. Maybe a small workshop?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That style and colours were very big in the seventies.

Hi2022 and Bronwen like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

In the 60s too, at least here. I remember seeing similar work here at art and craft fairs in the 60s.

Hi2022 and Bronwen like this.
  18. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I search a few days but cant find enameled and hammered bowls. At least till now
    Most of the hammered bowls are not enameled and enemaled bowls are not hammered :wacky:

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The bowl was spun/formed on a lathe,the hammering came later.

Bronwen and Hi2022 like this.