Oriental rug - worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Amateur Newbie, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Amateur Newbie

Amateur Newbie New Member

Hello everyone,
    A friend of a friend is selling her oriental rug and I'm thinking of buying it becuase I think it's lovely, but there are spots that are pretty worn and even a few holes. I know nothing about oriental rugs, but I've seen many and this one looks beautiful to me. I don't mind the worn spots, but obviously the holes are a problem. She tells me it was her uncle's, he was a professor in Cairo in the 50s or 60s and bought it there, but doesn't know any other details. It's approx 9x12. She's selling it for $650. What do you all think, is it worth buying? Is it worth repairing, or beyond help?
    Thanks for your advice! 00z0z_7fFaarTk402z_0nX0t2_1200x900.jpeg 00808_kVEBK6lOxy5z_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpeg IMG_2132.jpeg IMG_2133.jpeg

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's got good size
    in it's day...a really nice rug
    today....it's roached... badly.
    I think the term is threadbare .....
    the professors desk likely covered the third of it that's still in good shape.
    for the remainder...there's no fixing it...
    in my opinion...if u like it...offer $350...and that's for it's size alone !!!!
    also...I don't see it as oriental....

3. Amateur Newbie

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I'll skip it then. Sorry if oriental is the wrong term, it's just how she referred to it. Is it Persian? I don't know...

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

it's a tough one to place....I don't see an arab influence though ...:confused::oops:

nor do I see Chinese.......... hummmm.

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks Turkish to me, maybe Oushak (Ushak). It is beautiful, but very worn.

judy likes this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The rug market is very very soft right now. Rugs do sell better in the winter which is when we list them. That being said, the wear and loss of color would make this a $100 rug on a really good day. Tabriz and Oushak are still very popular along with the Caucasian rugs and silk rugs. Most definitely a buyers market.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Amateur Newbie

8. komokwa

wel, we all know 1stdibs items are rudely overpriced.....and as to the other link there....anyone buying that is out of their mind.

If... hers is an old Mahal....which it may be.....it seems as though asking prices are high...and indeed all over the board....

I found one $6000....dropped to $1900 ......

it's a rug I'll keep an eye out for though......but just now looking....they come in so many designs...... you'd have to be an expert to spot one...

I'm always willing to learn here !!!!!!

kyratango and Amateur Newbie like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It is a current fashion to 'distress' old rugs that are still in good shape. They are artificially distressed all over, and bleached and dyed to look more monochrome. The back weave is still in good shape.
    Fashionably distressed rugs are not worn here and there, and they don't have holes. They are like distressed furniture, which was the fashion years ago. That furniture had nothing in common with old worn and broken furniture.
    So yes, the lady is delusional. Anyone looking for a distressed rug won't buy a partially worn rug with holes.

I have been looking for a nice and good size old rug for ages, and all I come across is 'distressed' rugs.:arghh: So I am rapidly becoming a distressed expert in rug distressing.;)

kyratango, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

artificially distressed? :eek::eek::eek::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::yuck::yuck::yuck: What a horrible idea! :inpain::inpain::inpain::yuck::yuck::yuck::vomit::vomit::vomit:

kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It is! They take perfectly good rugs, and throw them in tubs with all sorts of chemicals! What is wrong with a nice old rug, and the work that went into weaving the colours, often made with natural dyes?

They say the more monochrome distressed look works better in modern home interiors.:rolleyes: Can't those people buy Berber rugs, or something newly made and bland?

12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

We have sold a few Mahal rugs that brought a couple of thousand dollars but they were Palace size, semi antique and in very good condition. There are many that have been 'passed' this year that showed color loss and pile loss. Starting bids at $250. Let her hang on to it. I have only used 1st dibs for comparables when appraising for high replacement value - not fair market. They charge their sellers up to 40% commission which is why their sellers ask the moon.

Bakersgma, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted