Featured Oriental GIANT Plate..Antique or Made to Look Like It?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RachelW, Aug 10, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

What have I found here? This is absolutely massive, not something I usually buy as I know what a worm hole oriental pieces are, but for 2 euros I took the risk.

Its very crazed, but the yellowing/discoloration suggests old. Whats really bothering me is this almost frosted effect you can see under the glaze, is this a victim of fake antiquing I hear happens?

If this is genuinely old, 19th century?

IMG_20240810_154534.jpg IMG_20240810_154539.jpg IMG_20240810_154556.jpg IMG_20240810_154613.jpg IMG_20240810_154618.jpg IMG_20240810_154631.jpg

The mark is illegible at best (thats not a sticker, seems like part of the galze so it wont come off), but perhaps someone can recognize some of the characters? Its probably the wrong way around lol.

IMG_20240810_154723.jpg IMG_20240810_154733.jpg IMG_20240810_154738.jpg IMG_20240810_154756.jpg

Thanks all!!​

2. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Wow-That's a lotta crackle !

RachelW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Even though it is not antique, it is spectacular. There seems to be quite a wild and dramatic story going on in that picture. It would be fun to find out what it all means. An old legend or something from religious books..? I wonder if there is an original this is copied from.

Marote and RachelW like this.
  5. bosko69

Hmmm...wonder who here might be versed in mythology ?;)

RachelW likes this.
  6. RachelW

Oh bother! A prime example of why I don't dabble in oriental blue and white antique looking objects. :hilarious: That crackling did raise some alarm bells for me, perhaps I should have listened.

Disappointed with most of my purchases in the end, but of course still gorgeous! The sheer size of it. I would love to know if there is anything about the story we can find out! I love the face peeping out of the cracked pot.

7. bosko69

Sometimes I'll buy stuff if it's cheap enough,just to share and learn.It's fun getting feedback,and not too humbling if you don't act like a expert horses ass.

RachelW likes this.
  8. RachelW

I mean this plate was 2 euros, so no harm done. I just don't like spending money on future disappointments, not a good investment I find! :hilarious: I spent 22 euros total on the ceramics, and the 2 euro german vase with a chip and a hole is the only antique here. Live and learn! Stick to Europe :rolleyes:

9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted