Oriental Embroidered artwork...

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Novicecollector, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Novicecollector

Novicecollector New Member

Hello, I just wondered if anyone is able to tell me more about the origin or value of this silk artwork.

It has been in the family for approx 50 years, but no one knows anything of it's history. It measures 23 x 14.5 inches and looks to have been in a frame at one time.

I think the colour is either hand painted or dyed, the rest is embroidered. I'm also assuming it's silk, but perhaps not?!

20210222_215140.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Any chance it came into the family with a person who served in Vietnam? (Not that I think this was made there, but a lot of US military serving there enjoyed R&R in Japan.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. A Vietnam era souvenir.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They also went to Hong Kong, which is a distinct possibility for this.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Novicecollector

Novicecollector New Member

Thanks for your suggestions, I really have no clue at all!! I wonder if it's just some souvenir but know of no one in the family that visited either Hong Kong or Vietnam. My grandfather served in the RAF in the second world war, but this was not from his side of the family and he was based in Europe!

Draft saved Draft deleted