Featured Orange glass vase - age ? maker ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

The colour caught my eye. I assumed it was a coating but it isn't. It's very textural.
    Height 6 3/8 " (17.2cm), base 2 3/8" (6cm).
    I'm thinking it was mass-produced but when and by whom?
    Very cheery when the sun hits it. 20181013_105647.jpg 20181013_105718.jpg 20181013_110207.jpg 20181013_105750.jpg 20181013_105849.jpg 20181013_105929.jpg 20181013_110057.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Tom Mackay

Yes, is it not? I don't care what the value is if a thing delights me but I like to "know" the "identity" of such things.

4. Bronwen

I am exactly the same way, as long as the value to acquire is within my means. I have been chided by someone who makes his living dealing in coins & engraved gems for buying cameos that are not 'investment grade'. Have a few that are. Wouldn't have bought them if they did not also tickle me in some way, & all their lesser kin are here for the same reason. These 2 look tickled too:

Satyr milking goat.jpg

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help ID, but it reminds me of a Fresnel lighthouse lens:

Fresnel_lens27be28eb4c3f842d2b41669a5ff5ae27a.png

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Tom, it certainly IS bright & cheery! It reminds me of a big goldfish!

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Imagine it is one of the German glass makers.

judy, Bronwen and Tom Mackay like this.
  8. Tom Mackay

I did find this but it's really only similar in that it has a "droopy drapery" aspect to the design.Does anyone think mine is Art Deco style ?

Art-Deco-Blue-Glass-Norden-Vase-by-Bernsdorf.jpg

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Bronwen

Only to the extent there are echoes of the top of the Chrysler building.

[​IMG]

Tom Mackay likes this.
  10. Bronwen

pearlsnblume and Tom Mackay like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

In some of the photos it looks like it has a coating that is scratched.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Tom Mackay

Lol ! I tried a number of words too ! Yes, "heavy drape" returned a lot like that for me, mostly (but not all) Fostoria and Fenton.
    It's been extremely interesting to see what has turned up. I'll keep trying from time to time. Thank YOU for hunting !

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Tom Mackay

The unevenness of colour is what made me think it was coated originally.
    As it cost almost nothing I wasn't hesitant to experiment. Hardened steel will scratch glass. It would certainly scratch any coating. I started with a sharpening steel and then went to a Victorinox paring knife, using them on the bottom and went from there up the sides and into the interior. If I'd been able to scratch off any coating it would have been gone.

14. joan elmore

joan elmore New Member

I'm new and late to reply but I bought a blue one was well as a brownish colored one. I was hoping one of you knew who made it. I love it so it's not a matter of money it's just that I like to know.

15. Bronwen

Welcome, Joan. This was not one of our successes. Maybe now that your post has revived the thread some new eyes will have an answer.

16. Tom Mackay

If it is coated then the coating has been applied quite effectively.
    See the attached photos - I thought this would produce results. 20210615_121250.jpg 20210615_121333.jpg 20210615_121450.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted