Featured Opinions on Large Weaving

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Jul 20, 2023.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I saw this today at a store where I've found other good weavings.

It's large: probably somewhere like 8' x 5'.

I didn't buy it, yet, as it's pretty expensive. But maybe it's worth it?

I'd love any of your all's opinions on it.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_7428.jpeg IMG_7429.jpeg IMG_7430.jpeg IMG_7431.jpeg IMG_7432.jpeg

Figtree3, Boland, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Potteryplease

(That's not discoloring in the upper left, btw, but just the lighting.)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  4. komokwa

I can't say by whom or when...but the size is nice....& the work seems very practiced !!

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. komokwa

047-yei-be-chei-navajo-rug-001.jpg 1950....very tight.... the skilled hand of Julia John..

I'd have to say that yours is newer than this.....

Figtree3, lloyd249 and Potteryplease like this.
  6. komokwa

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Examine the ends of the textile closely - do they feel thicker than the rest of the weaving? Looking at your last photo, it looks like the warp ends may have been cut and threaded back into the fabric to make it look like it was made on a Navajo loom. There are very good looking Mexican copies being made on floor looms.

Figtree3, Boland and Potteryplease like this.
  8. Potteryplease

Thanks @komokwa -- I tried but didn't find similar dancers.

That one by Julia John is amazing!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Potteryplease

Yes-- thank you @2manybooks -- I'm always aware of those look-a-likes. This one did look and feel right. I'll be sure to check it carefully when I go back tomorrow.

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Technically, it is a Yeibichai rug, not a Yei design. The difference is important to the Navajo, and they are actually two different patterns of rugs.

Yeibichai are the humans that portray the Yei in dances. The Yei are the spiritual figures of the Navajo religion.

Yeibichai are pictured on rugs in profile, usually with blue heads, to indicate that they are wearing a mask.

Yei are shown facing forward, and have round heads to indicate the males, square heads to indicate females, and may have additional items shown (depending on the weaver), such as cornstalks, associated with the Yei.

2manybooks is right. Yei and Yeibichai rugs are one of the most-frequently copied by non-Navajo weavers, and made to appear that they are authentic. I'm a little concerned that the traditional 4 strands of yarn in each corner is missing, as well as that there may be strands woven back into the rug, resulting in a slight texture change at the ends. Black yarn is also frequently chosen because it makes it a little more difficult to see.

A good website telling the differences to look for in identifying a fake Navajo from the real thing: https://www.navajorugrepair.com/fake.htm

11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

I don't know enuf about rugs to spot a fake Navajo...... so take others advice over mine..

13. Potteryplease

Thank you so much @Taupou. I always appreciate your input and will bear your cautions in mind when I go back to look at it again.

14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That's a great Website Taupou posted.If your shopping for real Navajo,it's worth reading,reading & absorbing fully what the guy's saying.
    There seem to be a lot of derivative rugs,very beautifully done (& worth owning)-but they're not Navajo.
    PS-Might print the page out & tuck it in your wallet.

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

One of the other things that struck me about the rug @Potteryplease is considering is the mechanical look to the figures. Each one is identical. In the genuine rugs that komo posted, there are variations in the Yeibichais' kilts.

Figtree3, J Dagger and Potteryplease like this.
  16. Potteryplease

Yeah that's another good point. And the detail is also 'mechanical' lolling like it was more quickly done. The 'feathers', for instance.

17. Potteryplease

Well, I went back to look again, and I'm thinking this one is too 'iffy.'

Thanks for everyone's help-- you saved me some money I might have otherwise spent.

Here's some more pics of the sides and ends, just in case there's something definitive.

IMG_7438.jpeg IMG_7439.jpeg IMG_7440.jpeg IMG_7441.jpeg IMG_7442.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Great info and interesting website. Thanks for posting

19. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

20. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I think that was the wise thing to do, since the additional photos indicate that this was probably a made-in-Mexico fake "Navajo" rug. It simply has too many of the indications.

Not mentioned before, but one should never see indications of the underlying warp threads on a well-made Navajo rug. They show up well on the black background, and those tiny white spots are a sure indication of either an inexperienced weaver, or a quickly-done fake. So, even if it were made by a Navajo weaver, it wouldn't be a good choice!

But thank you for posting here, before deciding. I'm sure you've helped a lot of people, who now know more about what to look for in the real thing.

2manybooks, Boland and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted