Featured Opinion on the age of this table

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

I like this table...solid walnut. It is constructed with mortise and tenon with pegs. Any opinions on age? Thanks :)

74519499_1_l.jpg 74519499_2_l.jpg 74519499_3_l.jpg 74519499_5_l.jpg 74519499_7_l.jpg 74519499_8_c.jpg 74519499_4_l.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can you show a picture of how the leaf is held up please.

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Never mind, I just realized it doesn't have leaves.
    Still might be helpful if we had a picture of the underside.

I'm thinking early 1800s or even late 1700s. But this isn't my area
    Wait for other replies.

@James Conrad

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice table....i have art work where the nails have blacked the wood....but i doubt it's more than 100 years old....this table may be though..

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Is that a double pad foot or is it on casters in the pics? Hard to tell from photos. If a double pad foot, do you think original or an addition to raise the height of the table? What do you know about this? .... where located, how you acquired, Any history, etc. Have no problem assigning an early 19th century date to this but could very well be 18th century.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The style is Queen Anne (1740-1770 in usa), country made, the legs & feet are a bit clunky. The battens for 3 board top are odd, normally you often see this type of "batten" on Pennsylvania table tops which are dovetailed/rabbeted into the bottom of top, often with holes drilled in them thru to apron on table base so the top could be removed.
    The nails make no sense with this type of construction (germanic), i suspect some top boards have been replaced.
    Guesses late 18th early 19th century, probably not period.
    Yes, would, take a look at those battens among other things!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. James Conrad

8. James Conrad

Pics from above example, had to convert files, notice the battens & removable top which is held onto table base with wood pins/pegs

ezgif-1-128eb1768745.jpg
    ezgif-1-87268d8883c3.jpg
    ezgif-1-3c70712e5b57.jpg

Jivvy, antidiem, i need help and 4 others like this.
  9. James Conrad

The bottom line in all this is, the whole point of those "battens" is so you could remove the top, nails driven down thru the top into the battens is weird. Something very odd happened there. :confused:

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gotta luv those legs...... nice Gams !!

upload_2019-8-9_11-47-8.jpeg

11. James Conrad

Guesses yes, padded foot but maker got carried away a bit & it's way to large. Click to enlarge
    74519499_7_l bu.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted