Featured Open salts - just because

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I recently started following a FB page. Some incredible salts out there. I started a tiny collection years ago when we moved into the family homestead (1850). The second one from left on the bottom was under the floorboards in the attic. No idea who or why it was there. Some are modern but I've picked up a few here and there. I also try to find spoons but those are rare. My favorites are the two mother of pearl. I think the ceramic one and two big ones are mustard spoons. Someone gave me a spoon that was made into a pin. IMG_3535.jpeg IMG_3537.jpeg IMG_3532.jpeg

Figtree3, J Dagger, bluumz and 10 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The pin may always have been a pin. They were given out to brides when they registered for wedding silver or some such. I have a few.

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I just found the etched glass one with handles online. It's a sugar bowl and had a matching creamer. It will have to move into another china cabinet. (I have four)

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re pin. Looks like Gorham's Chantilly.

Debora

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I LOVE the geometrics on these pretty glass salts!

6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Oh that’s an interesting explanation for those!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Someone has now ID'd the large heavy one as Bakewell-Pears and dated it to the mid 1800s. Cool!

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My mother had a pretty large collection of them. When she passed, no one in the family really wanted them. I sold most of them over time but probably have a few of the more common ones left somewhere. I also kept a more unusual one that I had given her for myself. It is a Bohemian intaglio design in amber glass with a classical motif. Similar, if not exact, to this one.

salt3.jpg

In the process of selling the collection, I learned a lot about salts. Of the ones you have pictured, only the one with the sticker is one I have not seen. Nice one there.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Well, then I opened another china cabinet and found I had more. That's the trouble with collecting. You forget what you have. LOL.

IMG_3689.JPG IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3695.JPG IMG_3696.JPG

verybrad and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted