Open Footed Salt - Marked only 1835

Discussion in 'Silver' started by dgbjwc, Jun 1, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I am trying to get more information on this open salt. It measures about 2" high and about 2" across. No hallmarks that I could find. Any info regarding manufacturer, age, material, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Don

IMG_20150601_163816456.jpg DSC03014.JPG DSC03015.JPG DSC03016.JPG

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we get a better look at the oval design on the side?

My first impression is silverplated, but I would strongly urge you to do some gentle cleaning up on the underside and on the outer rim of the foot on the off chance that there's a mark hiding under all that tarnish.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Bakersgma - Hopefully this is a better shot. If I get any closer it completely blurs out on me. I honestly can't make out what's going on with that oval. Should I try and polish that a little too?
    Don
    IMG_20150601_164950039.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Does that fat X shape look permanent or like tarnish to you?

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Tarnish I think.

6. Bakersgma

Work on the underside first after giving it a soak in warm water with a detergent like Dawn that cuts grease. That may loosen the upper layers of gunk enough to cut down on the effort necessary.

The other thing to look for is gilt on the inside (most salts without glass inserts were gilded to protect the silver from salt corrosion.)

I have to go out for a bit, but will check back. It's a very cute little thing!

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay. We went out for Chinese food and by the time we got it was dark. I see much better in the daytime. Anyway, I was unable to find any sign of gilt in the interior. I soaked it in Dawn for awhile and it does look a little better. I can give it a thorough cleaning if that won't ruin the value. I bought this spray stuff at an antique show and it melts the tarnish right off. I did do some light cleaning on the base but was still unable to find any hallmarks - just lots of little dings. I think you're right about silverplate as there may be some areas on the base where the silver has worn away.
    Don

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

"spray stuff at an antique show..." doesn't sound too good. If it works that fast, it's probably bad for the silver.

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's Hagerty Silversmiths' Spray Polish.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

I have never heard of a spray. Interesting thought, but I wouldn't use it on this. Anything that works that fast sounds too much like Tarnex to make me comfortable.

Have you used it on anything else?

11. Bakersgma

The other reason why I wouldn't use anything that strong is that it will remove the tarnish from the low spots and engraving and ruin the depth from the design. Do you have a "sunshine cloth" or jeweler's cloth?

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Good point! The guy that sold it to me does silver restoration. I've used it on other things but nothing really good. I don't have a jewelers cloth but I do have some silver polish that you apply with a sponge. I'll use that. Will post new pictures once I've got it cleaned up a bit.

spirit-of-shiloh and Bakersgma like this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Okay - here's some new shots. In the interior shot you'll see the corrosion you spoke of earlier. I'm still having trouble figuring out that center oval. The last shot should show some of the missing silver on the foot.

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

I'm wondering about that dark "mark" above and slightly right of the 1835 (which you probably realize is a maker's design number and not a date.)

15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Looked at the mark under the jeweler's eye and it just looks like another tarnish or corroded spot. As for date I had figured around 1900 or maybe just a little bit earlier.

16. Bakersgma

It just seems an odd spot for a deep ding or corrosion to me. Think about how that place would not be accessible for the random knock-about or exposure to the elements.

17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hmmm - okay I'll try and give the bottom a better cleaning then check it again. On my way to pay the antique mall rent but should be back soon. Thanks for all the work you've put into this so far! Much appreciated.
    Don

18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry - everything seems to be taking me far longer than it used to. I was able to get the bottom cleaner but I'm afraid it didn't help much.
    IMG_20150603_195314848.jpg

19. Bakersgma

Darn. And I haven't had any brainstorms in the meantime either.

I was kind of hoping that Cheryl would find one like it in her collection of catalogs.

20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

No problem! I'll set it off to the side for awhile - might see if I can find that silver restoration guy and see if he can round out the mis-shapened areas on the bottom. Again, thanks for spending so much time on this.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted