Opalescent faceted glass bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by aaroncab, Dec 13, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I reaaaally don't know my jewelry too well - but thought these glass beads looked old - so spent a few bucks more than I usually would on this necklace. The necklace is 27" long. Both sides of the hook/eye clasp are marked 925. The opalescent faceted beads vary between about 18-20mm long and there are about 40 of them. They have a moderately bright green glow under UV light(except one of them which glows an peach/orange color). Where is this from? And how old are the beads? 24166906427_b37cb04411_kdev.jpg 38315452184_91be2c7c25_kdev.jpg 39021203621_8d5f8acd6c_kdev.jpg 24156988827_2c0dde4974_kdev.jpg 27243879409_4d858d8adf_kdev.jpg 38145408935_de15b283c3_kdev.jpg 27254384589_de036505df_kdev.jpg 38994419202_d9b3e81864_kdev.jpg 38134626425_6714ff2a4f_kdev.jpg 39025085751_98e8493c6a_kdev.jpg

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I recognize most of these beads from bead supply catalogs, the faceted opalescent ones are probably opalite, a quartz, but sometimes simulated in glass.
    The cones and clasp are great, I haven't seen those before.

Any Jewelry, judy and aaroncab like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen similar ones, all very recent; the idea is as old as time however. The briolette beads could be either quartz or glass, the hearts are agates, and the round white ones look like shell. It was probably made some time in the last decade.

Sandra, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree with Sandra and evelyb. And yes, agate and shell.
    Like the hammered look cones and clasp as well. Probably a hobbyist piece, those hammered findings give it a 'crafty' look.

Sandra and aaroncab like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Probably from China. Nicer than some of the items sold through the gift shows I go to. Might be from a jewelry wholesaler who sells to boutique shops.

The hearts appear to be carnelian.

aaroncab likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

These look like a type of onyx
    upload_2017-12-13_9-4-9.png

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The middle bead in that threesome definitely has a look I don't think you would ever find in shell. The layer at the center has the translucent look of chalcedony & is extremely straight & even.

If all those little round beads are stone, the whole necklace must be quite heavy? All the elements in it are things easily found anywhere beading supplies are sold. I think it is definitely a crafts hobbyist piece. The briolettes could be labradorite, which can vary a lot in darkness & colors displayed. Some of the larger irregularly shaped beads that are an orange-y pink look like what is sometimes marketed as watermelon quartz.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I am seeing four.:wacky:

Bronwen and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. aaroncab

It is quite heavy yes (around 9 oz), and it is all glass or stone (except for the small white beads - I believe AJ is correct that they are shell - I scratched one fairly easily with a stainless steel knife.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Quite correct, a foursome. I can get tunnel vision when I'm squinting at details. The third one down.

That's a good indicator. It would be unwearably heavy if all stone.

Sandra and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. aaroncab

Thanks again everyone for your invaluable knowledge and willingness to share it!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted