Featured Opal/glass pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

16 inches long, the pendant is half an inch long. The chain has the diamond shape with NS in it which I think stands for nickel silver. The ‘opal’ confuses me, is it a sliver of opal set in glass? Was this commonly done for insertion into cheaper metals? It’s hard to tell. I’ve only ever had the white opals which seemed full opals, I’m not sure about this one. Any ideas please? Thanks.
    ~
    E70E0959-BCFD-49D7-9820-162F1D82E377.jpeg 62E403D2-9859-4F6F-B445-60C769C49316.jpeg 572DFC12-A31B-4F5E-9BD9-E1994D7ABB8C.jpeg FD2CE98A-469E-4B6F-A4EE-79A5F0CD0411.jpeg B9340110-8D70-4E24-95CC-0BAA434E054F.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We'll see what others say. I doubt there is any genuine opal involved; the setting is too inexpensive a one. In the earlier 60s I had a ring I loved very much, set with a similar looking 'stone'.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Opal triplet! A slice of opal between a black back and a domed glass/resin front:)
    Affordable and colorful piece.

4. kyratango

The opal slice is very thin in those...

5. Houseful

I had a thought that maybe at one time opal was a lot cheaper and they could cut a sliver and set it in a glass cabochon.

scoutshouse, Xristina and Bronwen like this.
  6. Houseful

Thanks Kyratango, I was typing as you answered. It is glass not resin. It was affordable too at £1.

7. kyratango

Oh, not exactly, the slice isn't sliced from a good whole opal:joyful:
    Because opal is and has always bern expensive, a too thin colorbar in rough stone can only be used in a doublet or triplet, giving a good effect and can be sold not trashed;)

8. Houseful

There’s a tv show I love to watch here in U.K. called Aussie outback opal hunters. They get the bland Potch, the red and yellow opal which I knew nothing about, the more familiar white and black and boulder opal. So exciting when in all the dust they see a gleam of colour in the rock face. They found a bit of fossilised shell opal, about 6ins long sort of a tube like a belemnite worth a coooool million!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Opalized ammonites seem to be relatively common. Have seen a huge one similar to this, in a museum display:

[​IMG]

Was it the type of organism that made tube one worth so much. Or size?

10. Houseful

The Virgin Rainbow is the million dollar one. It’s because it’s a belemnite. 11EE5F2B-A64D-458C-A29E-4063C700BFE1.jpeg 95B7B163-D1A1-4618-A3D2-62F9B0C717F7.jpeg It’s in an Australian museum. It’s said it glows in the dark. Not very big but spectacular in colours.
    ~

11. Houseful

There’s another one valued in 2005 at Aus $1million called the Aurora Australis. 3ins long 180 carats.
    24A7C0FC-7970-4107-9FB2-5FB256F9BAEB.gif

12. Houseful

This all makes my tiny piece look very dull and ordinary!

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. kyratango

"opalised" Ammonite is called Ammolite, and it isn't strictly opal; only a thin layer shows this distinctive color.
    The million dollar belemnite is WHOLE opal, of an extremely nice color!

14. kyratango

The color in your triplet is a dream too! No need of a huge piece to dream while looking into it;)

15. Houseful

I’ll just keep watching the TV show!

Draft saved Draft deleted