Featured only the horse is ceramic

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Phaik Hooi, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

found these 2 horse and cart decorative pieces. i believe the cart is mother-of-pearl. it is spotty and dirty and difficult to wash out with soap and water. similar items found on google, horse and mother of pearl cart, gorgeous compared to mine :hilarious::hilarious:

4" in total length, the cart is 1 3/4"
    my horses are ceramic, one lost it's head and a leg :( still got the bits, so any advice on how to glue them back? what are the metal bits made of and should i try to polish it? they do look like they are quite old.

regards
    phaik hooi

horse and cart1.jpg horse and cart2.jpg horse and cart3.jpg horse and cart4.jpg horse and cart5.jpg horse and cart6.jpg horse and cart7.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Those are sweet. Too bad the one is broken.

3. Phaik Hooi

luckily they are not a pair
    different metal attachments to mother of pearl cart :joyful::joyful:
    it is mother of pearl, right?

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see the differences you are talking about. However, the basic designs and materials are all the same.

Just an idea as I know this happened in some countries.
    Not sure where these were made, but wonder if there wasn't a company that employed families to make product. Therefore you will find little differences of construction, because they weren't made by the same person.

I would call this MOP. Different shell nacre is called MOP. Don't know what kind of shell this would have come from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacre

Phaik Hooi and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I think these sweet little pieces are more than just decorative, their function is probably open salts for the table.

Phaik Hooi likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Phaik Hooi - cute items. I would not polish the metal. Sometimes it causes more problems than it solves. The patina (tarnish) can be very important and destroying the patina can hurt the value. Just a very gentle cleaning with dish soap and water are more appropriate. Make sure they dry fully. Are you planning to sell? If so I would not try to make repairs. Instead I would sell them as is and let the buyer decide whether or not to restore. If you do decide to glue please use a water soluble glue. It makes it much easier if someone wants to reverse your repair and have it redone by a professional.
    Don

Phaik Hooi and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

The shell is likely to be polished sections of a nautilus shell, though there are other possibilities.

Phaik Hooi likes this.
  9. Phaik Hooi

tq! will keep as is :joyful::joyful:

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A definite possibility, but think more likely to be clam shells ground down to the nacre. I have a fondness for shell novelties & admit to owning a few. Only 1 uses what appears to be a section of nautilus; others are clam or scallop. The nautilus is much deeper than clam shells of about the same circumference.

A lot of these things seem to have been sold as souvenirs of seaside locations. Clams would be plentiful & inexpensive raw material. It would be a wasteful use of a relatively expensive shell to cut one down to the size & shape of the cart beds while clams would need only polishing.

upload_2017-12-8_19-33-56.png

Sandra likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted