Featured One thrift store find and one online find

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, quick post tonight to show my finds today. Found a cool mirror with a sterling edge, it says portugal 925 on the side and it was $2. Love the sneaky marks. This one will get polished up and maybe a gift to my oldest daughter.

The other items in the picture were a "feel purchase" online, never saw the marks. The candle holders had all the obvious looks for weighted sterling, and the bowl looked good. They were mixed with other items and the seller wanted $50 for it all. I got these specific items shipped to me for $25 so as long as I have 45 grams of scrap it's a break even (i'm sure it's more than 45 grams). Just fund to gamble and get it right.

IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2113.JPG IMG_2114.JPG IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2117.JPG

Iouri, kyratango, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice deal, Nate! Does the ladle have it's pattern name on the handle or do you need to find the name?

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I get so excited seeing sterling I don't even think about patterns sometime. I wasn't even going to look, but I'm happy to post the front showing the pattern if you'd like to see!

cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Please do! It keeps my eye sharp!

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice finds.

judy, Aquitaine and MrNate like this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

Photo below, scrapping was super fast, 190 grams counting the spoon. I didn't lose money!!!

IMG_2118.jpg

judy, Aquitaine, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bakersgma

MrNate likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

congrats Mr Nate, nice score for you:)

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice score. I agree - gotta love those sneaky marks!

MrNate likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Closer look, I'd say Beacon Hill/Deerfield!!

MrNate likes this.
  11. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Am I correct, when seeing the word WEIGHTED, means there is a thin film of silver over a heavy material inside?

judy likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

in the base...yes.

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Speaking of how you sell, where do you take your scrap silver? Online or local?

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. komokwa

i would never pack up precious metal and send it to someone somewhere in the mail...

judy likes this.
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I sell on eBay. My experience thus far with buyers has been great. I haven’t had any issues, and price has usually been close to spot and in a few cases where I had solid items price has been over spot. There’s definitely a risk with shipping but I have a regular schedule of scrapping once I gather enough materials and it has worked well.

judy and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

to be clear.....I meant to an online scrapper......not ebay or etsy...or like an online sale..

judy likes this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't either. I don't have much scrap as a rule, so when I do I just go to the local scrap guy. Of course, I weigh and calculate melt value before I go so I know what I should get from him :shame:

Draft saved Draft deleted