Featured One of my best finds that I never posted! 14k Victorian coin purse

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, May 10, 2023.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I never posted this but I found it awhile ago on an auction website. It was hosted by an estate sale company of whom I won't name but they seem to be pretty well known in their area... They listed this as a gold filled purse and even had a picture of the marking however it was zoomed out a lot and I could barely make it out but it was there! I paid $60 for it instantly buy it now! It weight 31 grams and is 7 inches long and in perfect shape! All links intact as well as the pearls. Quite an amazing piece that I feel fortunate to have found! I forget the company who made it but the makers mark is identifiable from what I remember.
    20230510_162813.jpg 20230510_162829.jpg 20230510_162854.jpg 20230510_162821.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh! Oh! Oh! Such a pretty thing!

Debora

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Bazinga !!!!
    good eye !!!!;)

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Yowza. Someone forgot to look inside and missed those marks.

Quality is going to be top scale since it's 14K. Awesome catch!

5. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Mark looks like Carter Gough. Is there a little “c” inside that mark? I sorta see it, zoomed in

Either way, what an incredible piece….and for only $60!!!

6. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Even gold filled should have brought $100+ in that condition

7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know the very wealth lady that owned it originally. Beautiful.

pearlsnblume, ola402 and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It does appear to be GF
    Seems to be little interest in these old purses lately

lloyd249 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's sad too. I have a nice sterling on sitting here collecting dust, but never scored a gold one. ^5 Spartcom!

Dessert58 likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing! And also wonder what it looked like when it was brand new. It really is sensational, such wonderful condition! I have to admit that's my price range at $60, lol. Congrats!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great find, spart. It is a chatelaine purse, so imagine what the entire chatelaine would have looked like.:)
    Love the wee pearlies.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and ola402 like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, the pearls are the "added touch," aren't they?

Debora

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Absolutely. Great attention to detail, also on the decorations.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Are you saying that the ring would have held a group of keys? I assumed the ring was to slip over the wrist and frankly, wondered why that would be better, more comfortable than just holding the chain strap.

kyratango likes this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@spartcom5 What do you do with the purse? Is it displayed? I'm giddy with adoration of it!

kyratango likes this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

17. Any Jewelry

The ring would be attached to the chatelaine clip, which was attached to the waistband. So this purse was one of many items which hung from a chatelaine clip.

Chatelaines originated as clips for keys, for the 'chatelaine', the lady of the castle, but evolved over time.

ola402 likes this.
  18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! Great site, I think I see now. I saw the purse as being larger than it is. The ring I thought a wrist would go through must really be like a jump ring that attaches to the chatelaine. I enjoyed looked at all the items that would be carried around by a woman. I was interested in one item called a vinagarette (sp) for bad odors which I assume were everywhere.

19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I now get it and am working this out now. How interesting and crave worthy, especially in 14Kt gold!

Dessert58, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Gorgeous!
    I'm a bit confused... so is it solid 14K or gold-filled?

Draft saved Draft deleted