Featured Omega watch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Karen Butterfield, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Karen Butterfield

Karen Butterfield New Member

Hello, I’m hoping someone will be able to tell me something about this watch.

What I know- my mom purchased it when she started her first job as a nurse in NYC- this would have been about 1960-62.

I don’t see marking that it is gold- so I assume it is not. I believe they are real diamonds- but I don’t know for certain- maybe this is a fake omega?

Appreciate any information you may know about this watch brand. DE0043FF-E1D5-4CDA-80C8-20608CE19E09.jpeg A1F49290-21FA-4DAB-83EC-0443ECA59481.jpeg 98F0437E-B5C7-4557-9F09-3C67F21391A5.jpeg EABC9F9F-5D2F-429A-8918-0C8126792F7A.jpeg 09CBF668-B908-4C82-8A4F-A70F8E03DE52.jpeg A9BD9DF5-6611-47B3-A289-DAFCF0C8F7AD.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

2nd to last pic...just below your thumb, between 1st and 2nd finger........do I see numbers on the band.....

pop the back of the watch and read what's inside...!!

I've only seen stones set like that on a soft metal..........

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The marking is inside the case
    It will be gold
    Its value will be scrap of the gold

JP007, Anouchka FG and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

If it's white gold and diamonds shouldn't it be worth much more than scrapping?

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Women are not into watches
    Diamonds have no melt value
    14K white and yellow have the same amount of gold in them

johnnycb09 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Karen-Google "Early women's 1960's white gold & diamond Omega wristwatch",look for 'Images' ,the top row of photos will show you some for sale & give you some prices .This is of course assuming it's white gold & actual diamonds.
    I don't think they were forging as many watches in the early 60's as they are now-no empirical evidence though.
    PS-The face of the watch can be restored.

kyratango and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Most women's watches aren't desired; the dials are too small to read. However, this an Omega and since the gent's watches have gone out of sight they may start nabbing the ladies' models too. Hard to say. I wouldn't dare scrap that.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if gold and diamonds....that watch is as much jewelry...as watch.....

only a desperate character would scrap it just for the melt weight......

& it's your Moms...with history...... u could always wear it with pride !!!!!!;)..:joyful:

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s gorgeous! Get thee to a watch expert and get a proper valuation. If it’s genuine, watch collectors drool over these, ladies or not. The men’s are where the most value lies but as Ruth says they will still be snapped up. Don’t scrap it! (and don’t sell it to the person who values it in case they see you coming……;))

10. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

These are a difficult sell in our auctions. Men's watches still do ok - we just sold an Omega Speedmaster for a couple thousand. Still - a lot of folks don't wear watches anymore. Jewelers are buying them for melt value and salvaging the diamonds.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

True that resale market for women's vintage watches is a lot softer than that of men's. Still... an attractive evening watch and bracelet. Dunno why it wouldn't be white gold and diamonds. (Wide spread counterfeiting wasn't a thing until the 1980s.) It should have a serial number on a lug somewhere; you'll want to examine carefully. An authorized OMEGA dealer can verify and restore.

Debora

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Debora and komokwa like this.
  13. bosko69

It's a keeper,perhaps for generations of Granddaughters ?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree.

Debora

15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

WOW, if it IS white gold and diamonds, she was one heck of a well-paid nurse!
    It certainly wouldn't have been worn for work purposes, a nurse's watch would have been much more plain/utilitarian and would have had a seconds hand for counting pulse rates.
    Could it have been a gift to her for her graduation from nursing school?

bercrystal likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree that it wouldn't have been a first paycheck purchase.

Debora

bluumz likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If a nurse wore a watch on the job on those days, and most did, it was on a pin on her uniform, and it hung upside-down. A fancy watch like the Omega would have been for evening wear only.

18. JP007

JP007 Member

Unfortunately, this is very true. And disappointing. I don't think CZs came out until the mid 70's so I think it's safe to say the diamonds are real. I would take it to a jeweler and let them clean it. If you can't get a good amount, I might keep it just because it seems like it has a lot of history. I am not you though...I hope you decide not to scrap it (if that was ever on the table).

19. bosko69

To quote Roaring-'here ya go' (after a 5 min search)-These are all Ladies Vintage Gold w Diamonds asking prices: Gold 10-18K & Diamonds:Ebay-$2189.98/ Etsy-$724.00/ Sotheby's-$2500.00 18K/ Ebay-$1900.00/ Ebay-$699.00/ Mercari-$320.00 10K/ Ebay-$295.00.
    PS-Check 'Sold Price' on all auctions.there's tons of Ladies Omegas-Good Luck !...lots of Omegas.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted