OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean 600m Automatic need guidance please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am intrested to buy the below watch, this would be my first purchase from a private watch dealer.
    I don’t know watches and this is the reason I would like to ask for your guidance.
    He has given me all the details about the watch, I believe is genuine, looks good, price is ok, but I have a slight concern.
    I have asked him to confirm as far as he knows, if the watch has ever been stolen, and he got upset, replayed that I insulted him. He then confirmed that the watch was not stolen.
    Problem is I don’t know the dealer very well or his sources and I had to ask him directly. To make the story short, I like the watch, everything about it is ok, but would like to ensure on my side as well. Is there a list? Is there a website? Can this search be preformed by myself or do I need to ask for the services of a third party? Most importantly, what do I search for? What number? Where to find it?
    I would very much appreciate your thoughts.
    I don’t doubt the dealer, this is something I feel I have to do myself as due diligence.

Thank you all.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    3E6E337B-A902-44EA-8BF2-0D69C31F2D29.jpeg 164172D5-C679-4A6E-A775-B73EC17CBBD0.jpeg 8178CE9A-EF8D-4665-8A43-339C8E765B7A.jpeg 64624DA6-2975-4E78-B0E0-46DD1F036523.jpeg F0BD8957-2DAB-458D-A760-F6213C9467E3.jpeg

Xristina and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

to my mind , stollen watches don't come MIB with all it's papers.....but wdik

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just so I understand... You're thinking of buying a $6,000+ watch from a "private" watch dealer you don't know very well? Why would you do that rather than buy from an official ROLEX dealer?

Debora

4. komokwa

for one...it's an Omega !!!
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The second he bristled because I asked a question I think pretty much anyone would ld be out . If Im going to splash out 6 grand Id just go to a reputable dealer. Why take a chance? Also a quick google shows the same watch cheaper in several other places so.....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Simona Buhus, I went to the OMEGA site, and it looks like you're paying just about retail! Did your dealer say how old the watch is you want to buy from him.....I mean it looks brand new, but ya never know!!! And so far, Omega is great at standing behind what they sell!! I have my Mom's watch, and it had stopped....wasn't just a battery....they were nice to deal with!!

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/seamaster/planet-ocean/catalog

7. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    Yes I like Omega watches, I have one and very happy with it.
    I did not ask how old it is, would be a question to keep in mind, thank you.
    I normally buy from shops and there is never a issue, it’s just I don’t want someone to come looking for me.
    The point that @komokwa made, that stolen watches don’t come with papers, it’s very valid, and that took a big stress of my head.
    I never mentioned the price he is asking, it is reasonable, £3,500.
    Thank you all for educating me, I would appreciate some links with websites that I could learn about watches, what to look for in a watch, basic knowledge etc.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

8. komokwa

I'll answer part of that...

this looks like a big hunk of heavy watch.....and rated to 600 meters.....so if you're not a diver....a good diver.....it's too much watch and u don't really need it..!

imho...;)

9. Simona Buhus

True again, I don’t need it…It is a gift. :)

10. Simona Buhus

Thank you Johny, you see , his reaction is what I could not understand, to me , my question was what any buyer would ask, it came form a good place.
    But, then again, I want to give him the benefit of doubt.
    I found an website in the meantime and few other bits of info, I would probably have to ask him for the serial number and a photo of the certificates.
    If he gets offended by that, then tough luck, I will take it as a sign. I did buy from him jewellery, they were as described, slight misstatement on grams, but did not manage to build I relationship where I would close my eyes and say, yes, no questions, I trust everything you say to be fact.
    Sharing the link
    https://www.thewatchregister.com/
    Thank you again.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Figtree3, wlwhittier and judy like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I bought a Patek Philippe missing winding stem for $10 at a garage sale. Took it to a jeweler that believed it was the real thing until he opened it up. It was a knock off a good knock off but never the less....

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Doesnt 3500 pounds translate to about $6000? And really,why wouldnt a thief have the box and papers if they burgled someones house ? I guess I have no faith left in people,cause the least little hiccup and I bolt like a startled horse.Id just go with a reputable dealer myself,better safe than sorry.

Simona Buhus, komokwa, KSW and 3 others like this.
  13. Aquitaine

For THAT kind of $$, yup, me too!! BUT, to each his/her own!!! Good luck with your purchase, @Simona Buhus !! Hoping it goes well, wherever you buy!! What A GREAT GIFT!!!!!!!

George Chaney likes this.
  14. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Well... I can see why you like the watch. I am going from the standpoint of someone in the US. So.... take the serial number down to the local police station. They track stolen merchandise and if it is stolen, there should be a record of it.

Pay with a credit card that offers buyer protections such as Visa or Mastercard. Verify that you have protection should the watch end up being a really good knock off, or stolen.

Upon purchase of the watch, go immediately to an authorized dealer to have it reviewed. They may charge you for this. Have it looked at to confirm a) genuine b) not stolen.

Always remember, the best knock offs come with all the same paperwork, factory correct serialization and look alike packaging. Don't base a purchase on paperwork and appearance. A number of years ago I purchased a "lot" of Rolex boxes, some with paperwork in an online auction. When I received them, they looked fabulous, but every one of them was counterfeit.

I've purchased 2 used Rolex watches from pawn shops. They are required to register merchandise with law enforcement. I went to a bunch of them in the Tampa Bay area in Florida and the best deals for the nicest watches were in the suburbs - more specifically, Brandon area pawn shops on both. The Yacht Master that set me back $5500 was my favorite and almost had me wearing a watch daily - and I don't wear a watch. Both sexy, genuine and half the cost of what I would have paid on the retail market. I personally prefer letting others take the retail hit on something and you may consider this approach a better option :)

If you are paying retail, save yourself some hassle and go to an authorized Omega Dealer as noted above. No point in paying a premium and having to do the run around along with worrying about stolen or genuine unless you absolutely trust the source.

This page can help you break down the serial number:
    https://www.thewatchstandard.com/complete-guide-to-understanding-omega-serial-numbers/

That's my two cents :)

Figtree3, David Kiehl and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

I agree with George....that if you're paying retail prices......buy a new watch at a retail store !:happy:

aaroncab likes this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Those papers are not worth as much as toilet paper

Debora likes this.
  17. Simona Buhus

Thank you George, @Aquitaine and everyone else.
    I decided not to go ahead with the purchase, I have talked with someone from the watch register and they advised to check the serial number with them first to see if it was stolen. I have asked the seller to send the Watch serial number one day before we were supposed to meet up, but he did not, and the discussion did not end very nice, so that’s that. He did make some points, which I don’t see relevant in selling watches, the rules that he bases his sales… I had this gut feeling something was not right, so I decided to leave it and follow your advise to go to a authorised dealer and buy from there.
    See for yourselves his message.

6CACD8CB-2C10-446E-BB2E-E1B31B3A7B65.jpeg

George Chaney likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

@Simona Buhus, I think you made the right choice, and it shouldn't cost you any more in the long run, you'll have a Warranty, and definitely a Brand, Spanking New Item!!!! Plus, I'm betting you are now at ease, when you make your purchase!!! BEST of luck!!!:singing::singing:

19. komokwa

Dear Simona...as u can clearly see now....this seller is not trustworthy .... is a liar, has no sense of customer relations....and well.... is an ass hole to boot !!!!!:mad:

Aren't u glad you are not giving them any of your hard earned money !!!! ;)

20. Simona Buhus

Dear Komokwa,
    I am very grateful to have found all of you great people in this site, and happy to take in your advise.
    This was an eye opener for me, thank you all.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted