Older? Lenox USA Double Old Fashioned Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Oct 16, 2024 at 4:53 PM.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

They're 3 5/8" high, 3 7/16" at the rim, 2 5/16" across the flats at the foot; weight is ~9 1/4 oz. There's evidence of a 2-part mold; there are no sharp edges or other features...the feel in the hand is of an almost oily, silky surface; the rim may have been sheared, then flame finished? There is quite a bit of wear on the foot, in the high places. The mark is etched (pic 5), having a ~1/4" upper-case script L, the word LENOX, then USA. They are dead-clear, an' don't react to UV. These belong to a friend whose wife (now in dementia care) collected hundreds of pounds of glassware of myriad colors, patterns an' functions. I think he has 6 of these. What I would be most grateful for is a Lenox pattern name for them.

Also, what's the process that makes that silky surface on quality glassware? I've heard it described as 'like Peking glass'...but I don't have enough tactile experience with Peking glass items to compare that soft, oily sensation. Whatever help y'all can offer in that regard will be treasured; it's a question I've wanted to ask here but had nothing to show as an introductory item, until now. Thanks for lookin'!

P1420648.jpeg P1420649.jpeg P1420650.jpeg P1420653.jpeg P1420652.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted