Featured Older Chinese? Multi-Knotted Ivory Beads on Silk?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Jun 30, 2024 at 3:51 PM.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It's almost 20" long (each side). There are 11 of those remarkable woven knots, an' 46 of the smaller locator/guard knots.
    Pic 3 & 9 show several points of extreme wear in the cord, an' there's a repair in a brighter blue thread in pic 8. The bead-pairs are subtly graduated from ~1 1/8" x ~3/8" to ~7/8" x ~5/16"; the whole string weighs ~15 1/2 grams.
    Is it Chinese? Is it as old as it seems to me (late 19th C to ~1920)? Is the form indicative of special significance? Last BNL: what are those woven knots called, an' what is their significance, if any?
    Thanks for lookin'!

P1410690.jpeg P1410691.jpeg P1410692.jpeg P1410693.jpeg P1410694.jpeg P1410695.jpeg P1410696.jpeg P1410697.jpeg P1410698.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's flapper length. Looks more like bone than ivory. Let's see what others think.

Debora

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The beads look more like bone to me.

4. wlwhittier

Yup...I can accept that.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    Yes, it is. Probably Cantonese.
    Eternal knots or endless knots. Originally a Buddhist symbol of the interconnectedness of wisdom and compassion, but in Chinese folk belief it also symbolizes longevity and eternity.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice -- I wonder whether there was once something attached to the knot that is where a pendant would be? In any case, it is lovely.

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think there could have been a carved bone pendant.

wlwhittier and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was thinking that, too. Or possibly a pendant made of something else that coordinated with the look of the necklace.

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. wlwhittier

Yes...the way the cord is frayed at that end does suggest something may have been suspended there at one time.

Draft saved Draft deleted