Old watercolor painting of Churchill over looking a harbor during the war?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I found three watercolor paintings that are signed by the same artist. It looks like the signature is Mario C. The one that caught my eye, is the one that looks like Winston Churchill overlooking a harbor, standing fast to the approaching Nazis. That's what I see when I look at it. The other paintings are of a fisherman and a boat racing team. The funny thing about these, are, I could of sworn I've seen these before I had purchased them. I think it may have been a dream that I had about getting these appraised. I remember the one of possible Churchill being around $1200 and the other two were about $300-600 a piece.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The fisherman is nice!

The big head overlooking the harbor looks more like Charles De Gaulle, imo.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I was thinking more like Kim Il Sung than Churchill. I think your fisherman is in fact a sailor, and your boat racing team is a peasant family landing the family boat, somewhere not in Britain.

Your artist may be Maltese.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Armando0831

Why have I heard of the name Maltese?

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Just because the boat has a number doesn't mean it's a racing team. The large head may just be a lost fisherman - the painting could be an homage to him. Does this look like the harbor in Malta? It looks more like M. D'mios and not Mario C

7. Armando0831

image.jpg
    It trying to look up a harbor in Malta right now. It's hard to tell. The images of present day, doesn't look like it. I did find a picture of a harbour in Valleta that has a ship like the one in the picture with black and red and cranes. That's probably a far fetch. Here's a pic of it. I'm not the best at detecting.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Looks like Momios ? I especially like the last 2.

9. Armando0831

I do see what you're saying about Charles De Gaulle. The ear is quite large looking, the lowering of the eye brow and nose. I just haven't seen a picture of him with a flat hat like the one pictured. I've only seen him without a hat or the taller hat.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  10. Armando0831

Just wondering, why do you think the artist may be Maltese?

11. afantiques

12. Armando0831

Just wondering. I didn't know if there was anything that stuck out that may have signaled anything.

13. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I would go with Charles De Gaulle.

14. afantiques

De Gaulle would not be seen dead in a hat like that. Always the kepi. Basically, it's just a bad profile of someone unrecognisable. It may be meant to be Churchill but who knows? Artists are not cameras.

15. Armando0831

That's what I thought about the hat. None the less, I will still look at it as Churchill overlooking a harbour during the war. That's the first impression I had about it when I first seen it. The painting has the hat as a reddish tint. Was
    the hat that Churchill wore, a reddish color?

16. afantiques

17. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Could just as well be MacArthur, except for the lack of sunglasses and corncob pipe.

18. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The nose is not like De Gaulle
    The port could be just about anywhere.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The hats are Maltese fishermen's hats, so you're dead on about these being from Malta. Whether the painter was Maltese or just the subjects is a good question. No clue who the dude in the civilian hat is.

Armando0831 likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted