Old wardrobe - is it worth trying to sell? New member

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jason Dowdy, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jason Dowdy

Jason Dowdy New Member

My wife bought this wardrobe many years back. We're looking to get rid of it and just wanted to know if anybody may have some information about. Just curious about an approximate age and any other pertinent information. She believes the antique where she purchased told her it was made in France, but there are no obvious marks to confirm or disprove that. I broke the mirror a few years ago while moving it so it's been replaced with modern glass, unfortunately. The dimensions are approximately 87"H x 41"W x 18"D. Any help you can offer is appreciated. If it's worth selling, that would be great. If not, I'll at least be able to give it away knowing that I didn't possibly leave any money on the table. I'm located in Oklahoma City. Thank you.

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

lauragarnet and opoe like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey Jason:

It very well could be from France. I like it alot, despite the "character dings" and replacement mirror. As you'll see in other threads on this site, "brown furniture" like this is not currently selling well. Personally, I've chosen to hang on to a piece or two recently rather than accept an 80% loss on what I paid for them 10 years ago.

But your armoire is worth something to somebody. I wouldn't look to retire on the proceeds, however.

3. Jason Dowdy

Jason Dowdy New Member

4. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

The hardware seems art-nouveau-ish...so around 1890-1910, but that could be a replacement, the wardrobe itself could be older.
    I like this one a lot and would fit right in here with all my other cabinets with flaws...

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is that woodworm holes I see ? id donate it and take a tax write off. :)

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'd wipe it down with orange oil, and put it out at the next garage sale.
    Here in Northern CA, I would mark it $100 and take the first reasonable offer.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the 1890-1910 dating and believe it all original. Could be French. Do not think it is American at any rate. Not terribly valuable these days, particularly in this condition. Think the $100.00 or just a bit more would be a realistic sale price since you want it gone. Would think a dealer might even have a look at that price. Of course, value really depends on where you are. Might do better in a big city. Might have no expectation of sale in Podunkville.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, i am goin with cluttered on this one. An armoire is a tough sell even in a good market because of their size.

Draft saved Draft deleted