Old Venetian Glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 8, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

My friend really, really wanted me to buy this as he was convinced that it was old Venetian Glass. What it looks like to me is a museum reproduction of a Pompeii glass vase, but I'll leave it up to you guys. It is small at 5 1/2 inches and slightly lopsided and the rim is irregular. Old Venetian Glass or museum souvenir or something else? You know your comments are always invaluable to me.

IMG_9509.jpg IMG_9508.jpg IMG_9511.JPG IMG_9512.JPG IMG_9513.JPG IMG_9510.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you can try searching the term 'Scavo Glass' and Lion or lion head prunts, you will find similar:) sorry, I can't say if new or old Kiko, I'm sure someone will be able to help
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 9.00.49 AM.png
    https://www.cmog.org/glass-dictionary/scavo

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Repro, possiby LaFiore glass from Mallorca.

i need help, KikoBlueEyes and blooey like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

I appreciate the link. Thank you. I didn’t believe it when I bought it. I have seen such at museum exhibits about Pompeii but I wanted to make sure

5. KikoBlueEyes

Great. A lead. I was almost positive a reproduction but he was so certain

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

7. KikoBlueEyes

That second one has wonderful information. I had to look up those places, as I had never heard of them (I apologize for my American's lack of world geography). Makes it far more interesting. A reproduction using old techniques is as close as I am going to get to the real thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted