Old Teapot, Hoping for Help with identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by patr2016, Jan 3, 2022.

1. patr2016

patr2016 New Member

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me identify the somewhat strange markings on the bottom of a teapot. The teapot in question belonged to my great aunt, who died in 2000. I'm not sure where she got the teapot; she worked in a large department store in New Jersey her entire life. After her death, it went to my mother, who still has it.

On to the teapot itself: it's cream-colored with golden edging and delicate gold flower designs around the body. The lid is similarly decorated, featuring a 10-pointed star in gold. The bottom contains the strange markings, also in gold, along with a faint embossed section which reads "SADLER ENGLAND". I'd be quite happy with any information that can be discovered about this teapot, but my specific question is regarding the markings in gold on the bottom. They're probably some kind of maker's mark, but I couldn't find anything online, and honestly wouldn't know what to search!

Thanks in advance!

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

Try looking here:
    https://thevintageteacup.us/pages/james-sadler-and-sadler-backstamps

Bakersgma, judy, dude and 2 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Bakersgma, pearlsnblume, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. patr2016

patr2016 New Member

Thanks, that's exactly it. Sadler 3003 was the search term I was looking for. Thanks so much!

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, number is pattern. The other is the piecework mark.

pearlsnblume, judy and dude like this.
  7. patr2016

patr2016 New Member

Do you know how I might go about searching the piecework mark? Like, is it a unique symbol that went with each piece, or some sort of number or letter?

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You can't search for them. They were the mark for whoever did the decoration, so that they could be paid. They honestly don't matter as far as the pot value or anything else much is concerned.

The factory which is an exception to this is Doulton Lambeth, where the decorator marks do matter.

patr2016 and Bakersgma like this.
  9. patr2016

patr2016 New Member

Thanks. I'm not worried about appraisal or anything, I was just looking for some more info about it.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My guess for age is anywhere from 1940s-60s. It's a nicer everyday type of teapot. Not utilitarian, but not from a fine tea set. Sadler is a very common name in the English teapot world. With all that crazing, it may fetch $10-$20 US on a good day... if that. (I know you said you're not looking for an appraisal, but I just thought I'd throw that out there for reference.) Even without the crazing, it wouldn't have fetched much more.
    I have several similar to - though not exactly like - yours from Sadler. They have great sentimental value. :)

Deux Coeurs likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted